Painting, Drywall and Flooring, OH MY!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hello. My name is Stephanie and I am a SAHM to six children. We are purchasing 40 acres with a couple 1997 Fleetwoods or Buchanans. We've never lived in a mobile home before and were so surprised at how very nice these homes were and think they get bad wraps. It's our belief to live debt free and we want to stay in these homes long enough to build a stick or steel house ourselves. We will be getting a small mortgage until our other house sells in another state. Because of my husband's job transfer we will be spending about the same amount each month on mortgage payments as we would be in gasoline if we didn't move. This is a new chapter in our lives and we're all looking forward to some dairy goats, chickens, rabbits, guard dogs, chickens, berry farm and garden, all in good time. There are also 2 large garages, barn, creek, pond and wooden playhouse! :-) One of the garages will be converted into our school room and craft area for homeschooling.

I don't know much about my soon-to-be new home just yet except what I've seen and the realtor has told me. They are both double wides with shingle roofs. One is a 4/3 and over 2000 sq ft with a deck and double carport. The other is a 3 or4/2 with over 1500 sq ft. They are on permanent foundations and we hope to be able to move at least one of them later because it's where we will likely build our stick house. (The view of the mountains can't be beat with about 180 degree view. Since it will be a few years, I would like to spruce them up a bit and perhaps rent out the smaller one. However, my main goal is to spend a few hundred dollars and prepare the larger one for us to move into. One of the bedrooms has been converted to a laundry room, which makes me ecstatic but I need to put up a LOT of shelving. I want to keep all the children's clothes for both seasons in the laundry room so it will be like a 130 sq ft closet. One wall has a counter and cabinets where they will keep their folding clothes and we'll use it as a linen closet for now.

Thanks for any help you can provide. We will likely have the survey next week and I will go to measure rooms and windows and check all windows, faucets, etc. I like to map all the furniture out on graph paper before we move to a new home so my husband only has to move the furniture once and we don't bump heads. :wink:

Help...

Flooring - Some of us have allergies and I would like to replace the carpeting with laminate flooring. We've installed this ourselves (hubby) with great success. Is there anything we need to know about how this is different with mobile home sub flooring?

Painting - There is some funky looking pastel and shiny wallpaper on the walls. It looks like it's factory installed. I want walls that I can paint. Can I go over the wallpaper with paint? I saw one makeover on here and could have sworn the person mentioned drywall? Do you install drywall over the factory walls? I'm so confused. :?

Laundry Shelving - We've always used the Closet Maid shelf track system in our homes because they are great to change up as the children grow and I can move shelves around without drilling in the walls. :lol: We want them to be sturdy because they will be holding clothes for six people along two walls. We have extra supplies here in the house we are selling that we'll move to the new home to save lots of money. But, I'm worried that they will rip the walls down from all the weight of the clothes! Any suggestions?

Those are my three biggies because I am recovering from surgery and we need to get in the home as soon as possible after closing in a few weeks, Lord willing. So I don't know what to do and how much to expect to spend. We have some of the paint here and I know the flooring is $1-$2/sq ft. It's the drywall part that scares me. We've drywalled before but I don't think I can tackle that myself because I can't lift anything over 8 lbs for six weeks. I've learned so much reading a lot of the forum topics already and am looking forward to great advice. Thanks in advance so very much!

Also, there look to be like a lot of great books and supplies on this site. If there was ONE good book about owning mobile homes, what would you get and why? Thanks!!!
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg

Mom, Hi & welcome to the family. First let me recommend Mark's book (Mark is the owner of this site) the Manual for mobile homes. He wrote it in generic terms for the DIY.
Flooring, Laminate is an excellent choose for mobiles, one thing you want to check first and repair if needed is the sub floor. mobiles are very prone to water damage. look near the doors & windows, step down hard and feel for any soft spots.
Painting, you can paint over the wall paper, do a very good cleaning of the surface before painting.
Now let me tell you that you have found THE BEST site in the world for mobile home advise, with a support team that is second to none. I can honestly say that I don't believe there has been a problem brought here that we have not been able to find a fix for.
I am sure others will add their thoughts here as well. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi Stephanie

Order "The Manual for Manufactured/Mobile Home Repair & Upgrade" by Mark Bower.

Excellent resource.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?

:lol: The pain medicines might have confused me yesterday as I'm not used to any meds. I thought that he wrote a lot of books but I must have been confused. I went back to the book link after posting my questions. Are all the questions I asked answered in the book. It's already in my shopping cart but I'm not sure what else to order. Are the washing balancing pad things good to have in just about any home? We have the front loading washing machines. They have adjustable legs but it's not easy to adjust them. Thanks! Looks like just what I'm looking to have. The library and internet searches have led me to a lot of dead ends and I would love to have a book in hand to reference! :-)
Mark
Site Admin

Hi Stephanie,

My 'manual' is what you need.

As for your walls, pick up the dvd titled, "Making your paneled walls look like sheetrock." It applies to the walls your talking about. You won't need to put up drywall.

Your best options for floors is either laminate or vinyl. Laminate is probably the easiest to install by the do-it-yourselfer. My preference is vinyl, but that takes a bit more doing.

Your shelving system should be fine. Just be sure the posts or whatever the shelves mount to is firmly secured to a stud.

Oh, the washing machine absorption pads don't work the best on front-loaders. They do minimize the vibrations, but since those front-loaders spin so fast, they may cause the machine to vibrate even more. For top-loaders, the pads work great.

Welcome to the site,
Mark

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hi,

On the first page of the Repair forum, there is a sticky titled, Purchasing a Used Mobile Home, read this and then you will get a good idea of what to look for in a used home.

This is just a guideline, not a replacement for a professional inspection of the home.

There are many threads in the Decorating forum on wall techniques.

Oh, welcome to the site!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

Thanks, Yanita. I looked that sticky article over. I was hoping for more replies for ideas/suggestions. I've ordered the book and DVD and will read and watch next week. :-) Thanks so much. :-)
Yanita

Hi,

Not sure what you want in the way of ideas or suggestions?

If you give a few more specifics in that area certainly, LOL, others will chime in with their thoughts and opinions.

As for what to look for in the inspection process of your new homes, that sticky posting pretty much covers about all that you can encounter with the home.

If you are wanting more suggestions in decorating or landscaping those questions can be asked in that forum. Same with painting the walls or other types of wall treatments.

Look forward to your future post.

~Yanita~ :D

Hi everybody.

Sorry about that. I'm using my daughter's laptop and I'm not used to the keyboard and keys are sticking, etc. and I often erase lines without realizing it.

What I *thought* I said was that I was hoping for more ideas about the things I asked about but I was going to look over the book and then ask some more questions. LOL The book and DVD look pretty comprehensive. :-) And should be here tomorrow! :-)

Hopefully I'll go measure rooms, frig openings, washer and dryer space, etc this week during the survey or appraisal and we'll inspect the home then and I'll print off the sticky to take with me or take notes from it so we can have a bit of a checklist. The purchase price was so low that really we look at the homes as free so it's okay if there is some work that needs to be done on them. We saw other properties that asked the same price per acre with no homes on it at all and never dreamed we would be able to buy so much land because we couldn't have afforded a place to live! LOL Hopefully it will all work out and we'll move in soon. :-)

Have a great week. I'll separate my questions next time and try to get them in the right categories! hah. But first I'll try to look over Mark's manual I've ordered. And I'm off pain meds so that should cut down on my confusion. ;-)

Stephanie
Yanita

Hi Stephanie,

Glad your off pain meds and hopefully feeling better. :D

Look over Mark's Manual real well, even bring it with you during your inspection, print the article and you should do fine!

Congrats on your new purchase!

Yanita

Hello , My first post . Just got marks book in mail . Best One I found so far. I have same issues with carpet . I am adding laminate flooring now. I added new subfoor but really didnt need too , My floor had some low spots and this is easier . His book is good . I am redoing bathroom and my floor under tub was trashed , make sure you look for water damage. It is harder to fix. My mobile was damaged around back door , water heater and tub . If your adding new laminate its a good time to fix. doesn't take alot of skill or tools but it alot of work.

Thank you. Yes, I got the manual and it truly is wonderful. Before I found this website, I checked around online at over a dozen libraries. All the books on mobile homes were over 20 or 30 years old! This manual is exactly what I was looking for and I've already told a friend about it. :-)

Thanks, Stephanie