Help > Where do I begin???

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mesoc

I have a 1987 mobile home that has been falling apart. I'm not a handy man, so I'm not great at fixing things and afraid I'll make things worse. I'm going to show pictures of the problems I'm having, and hope some of you can provide information and help. It would be very appreciated.

Problem 1: Both of my tubs are in awful shape. I've made attempts to glue them to minimize leaking (surround is also cracked all over). I don't know if they are repairable or if I need to go about replacing them. I've went around to a few places, and have been quoted anywheres from $1,000-$5,000 to replace them, some have told me they may need to take the wall down as well and the floorboard might need to be replaced. I only took pictures of one of the tubs, everytime i go in you can hear the cracks, and I'm sure water is getting underneath. What would be my best option?

-----

Problem 2: Floor is marked all over in the kitchen, laundry room, and by the back door. As seen in the pictures, there are permanent black spots all over. I believe it may be from mold but not sure. Will having my floors replaced be the best option?

-----

Problem 3: Laundry room: Damage to the wall from previous water damage (curves inward), also the hose just started leaking water as I use the washer. Is this a problem I can fix myself, or should I hire a plumber?

-----

Problem 4: Panels all are coming off throughout the entire mobile home. The pictures are for the panel within the kitchen. Would the best option be to try and reattach and paint over them?

-----

Problem 5: We have had central air since we got the trailer, but stopped using it several years ago because it doesn't blow out cold air anymore. We've been using a window unit but it provides limited air (when its 90+ in the summer its nearly unbearable and can't even sleep). I want to get the central air back up and running properly. Should I dish out a couple thousand to have it completely replaced?

-----

Problem 6: Stove needs to be replaced, holes are in it and it's just time to be replaced. Would Lowes/Home Depot be the place to go to have this replaced, or a mobile home specialty store?

-----

-Other issues I have that I probaly just need to get a contractor to fix are:
-Roof hasn't been inspected/replaced or anything since I got the mobile home
-Cosmetics > Carpet / Painting / Blinds

I'm sorry for the long post, I just don't know where else to turn and hope some of you can provide advice/solutions. I will keep this thread updated with progress as well and I hope I'll be able to return help as this is worked on.
Norm Frechette

Problem 5: We have had central air since we got the trailer, but stopped using it several years ago because it doesn't blow out cold air anymore. We've been using a window unit but it provides limited air (when its 90+ in the summer its nearly unbearable and can't even sleep). I want to get the central air back up and running properly. Should I dish out a couple thousand to have it completely replaced?

i'm not sure i would immediately replace anything without calling a hvac contractor to come out and have a professional take a hard look at your current system and then make a recommendation to you on what really needs to be fixed and what the costs will be.

Problem 6: Stove needs to be replaced, holes are in it and it's just time to be replaced. Would Lowes/Home Depot be the place to go to have this replaced, or a mobile home specialty store?

with the proper measurements of your current stove, your local big box home improvement store or a local appliance store should have what you need to get your current items replaced. i would also think the shipping charges from a mobile home specialty store would be outrageously expensive.

i will defer the other items to someone with more experience to answer your questions
bobfather99

1) When you get cracks like that in a tub, its a goner and should be replaced. Try to figure out why the tub cracked. Is it a bad floor underneath, unlevel home, poor materials or installation??
If it were my home, Id pull out the tub, repair/replace the floor with plywood as necessary, and replace with a tub with the same dimensions. Id add a new trap under the tub and repair the plumbing as needed. Be careful with the older poly(grey or black) pipe, they leak at connections.

2)Your picture looks like mold to me. Check the plumbing, roof, and windows/doors for leaks. Try to dry out everything and repair as necessary. Mold can be a health issue, be careful when youre working on the home.

3) Judging by the stains on the hose connection, looks like the hose from the tap to the washer is leaky. Id just replace it with a new one.Its possible that is a leak thats causing some of the moisture issues in the home. Use some pipe tape on the threads to seal everything up.

5) If the air conditioning isn't blowing cold, have a HVAC tech clean and test the system's level of Freon(you probably have a leak) Repairing the existing system may be cheaper the replacing the system. Get an estimate, it will give you an idea of the costs involved. Probably can wait on this one until the spring, of course... ;)
Tip your bartender.....
Greg

Hi & welcome. Many here have been in your shoes. The first thing you really need to do is decide How much the home is worth now and it's worth after repairs are done. You will need to make sure the home is weather tight since any repairs made would soon be ruined if it is not.

How much of the work are you willing to do. I understand you may not be a handy man, but any work you do will have an effect on the price. Much of the work the home needs is not terribly hard to do but will take time.

As for the tubs, I would replace the one at a time, you may be able to put standard size tubs in if you have the room. Plan on replacing the sub floor under the tub, you will know for sure after the tub is out.

Stoves are stoves, Lowes, Home Depot, any appliance store. Shop around, the big stores don't always have the bet price.

Panels are often glued & nailed at the factory, If you have many panels popping off I would check & relevel the home if needed.

The only job that REQUIRES a Pro would be the A/C. The other repairs you CAN do if you are willing. We have talked many members through repairs here and I don't think we have lost one yet.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

I wonder if the discoloration in the floor is caused by water underneath the vinyl, from the leaks? Is the floor solid, not spongy?
Mesoc

thanks for the replies

hah, well hopefully i'm not lost anytime soon :) after serious consideration, i'm looking at possibly buying another used mobile home for ~10k.

>>> some of the items seem to easier replaceable, stove, fridge(one of the many i didn't mention)...

the floor doesn't feel spungy, but it's black all throughout the kitchen area... there seems to be areas throughout the mobile home towards the bottom of the walls where there are black spots...we had septic problems about 10 yrs ago where literally if i walked out the back door, the ground was wet. mowing was awful and the crawlspace was not better.

with all of the repairs/remodeling needed...i'm afraid to even put a penny more into the mobile home...
Mesoc

went looking today, and it's definately not worth buying another used mobile. There are a lot with similiar problems, so i'm going to repair this one up. I need to start with replacing the first tub and working on that hose.

[quote="bobfather99"]1) When you get cracks like that in a tub, its a goner and should be replaced. Try to figure out why the tub cracked. Is it a bad floor underneath, unlevel home, poor materials or installation??
If it were my home, Id pull out the tub, repair/replace the floor with plywood as necessary, and replace with a tub with the same dimensions. Id add a new trap under the tub and repair the plumbing as needed. Be careful with the older poly(grey or black) pipe, they leak at connections.

Well both tubs lasted for about 18 years or so. I'm thinking it's just the tubs itself and weak boards lying underneath. However, we still need to take showers, and I'm sure all the water going through has rotted the wood underneath. I think I'm going to have a new board and new placed as well to be on the safe side.

2)Your picture looks like mold to me. Check the plumbing, roof, and windows/doors for leaks. Try to dry out everything and repair as necessary. Mold can be a health issue, be careful when youre working on the home.

3) Judging by the stains on the hose connection, looks like the hose from the tap to the washer is leaky. Id just replace it with a new one.Its possible that is a leak thats causing some of the moisture issues in the home. Use some pipe tape on the threads to seal everything up.

we had an issue when we got a new washer from rent-a-ripoff several years ago. they inproperly installed it and water sprayed all over the place. i think it's what caused a lot of the possible mold in that area. going to try replace the hose this weekend, and go from there.
joedirt63

hello, as with the tubs , you may consider what I did to one bath in my home. I had broken tub ,abs plastic. to my good fortune the floor was fine. I opted to get a 1 peice shower stall ,put it in the corner and relocated the toilet next to it in the same space that the tub was in. In my 2nd bath I have enough room for a standard size tub. I'm going with a 2 piece,fiberglass.better than plastic but lighter than steel. depending on the room you have the shower may free up a little space . and the other bath still will have a tub.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Do some measuring and see if you can squeeze in a full size 60" tub in one bathroom, you will find better selections & prices than a 54" tub.

Since it looks like you are going in head first, you may want to consider Mark's book. It will give you a little idea of what you are up against and how to do it. In the "books & parts section of the site.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

I had the cracked tubs also. I was able to find a $99 54 inch steel tub for one of them. The other I lucked out when a neighbor replaced his 54 inch plastic tub with a larger unit, so I got his old one for free. It is made better and thicker than the original one was, with a more solid foam support underneath.
Just a thought - is that the original vinyl flooring. or has it been replaced, with perhaps the new layer right over the old one? there could be water wicking between the two layers, staining the vinyl, but not getting to the floor.
As for the stove, It is a standard size, any new one should fit, probably 30" wide.
Walls, you can use finishing nails to re attach. They can be painted over. You will need a good primer. I had excellent luck using regular white paintable caulk to fill nail holes, etc. You can get trim moldings at any lumber store/home center to trim out the place. I have put trim around all interior windows.
My home is a 1987 also, and I have replaced the carpeting in the living room, hallway, and one bedroom, as well as the kitchen vinyl. I have also repainted the kitchen, one bedroom, and one bathroom. About 5 years ago, I replaced the shingled roof.
It looks like you have the same type of walls as I do, thin wood covered with a plastic coated paper. The first room I painted was done right over the plastic, but it is easy to chip. When I did the kitchen and bath, I took the time to peel the (very thin) plastic off the top of the paper, and those rooms are holding up fine.
The stains on your floor look like they are coming from the back side of the vinyl, since the fake grout lines look fine. Maybe they are from when your rent-a-washer leaked water got under the floor, but it may be dry now, since you say the floor is not spongy. if you had a big water problem, likely you would have fallen through the floor by now, as most floors are particle board that disintegrates when wet. You may have lucked out and have vinyl under the tubs that prevented the water from destroying the floor. You'll find that out when the tub is removed.
The AC system probably should be replaced. New ones are more efficient, and will lower your electric bill. I have central air via a separate outside unit (not part of the furnace) that is over 20 years old and has never given me a problem, but it is not as efficient as a new unit. I have also replaced my natural gas furnace with a new 90+% unit,
bobfather99

Please keep us posted on your progress. Ask away if you have any questions. Post pics if you get time, I like to see the progress!!!
Tip your bartender.....