floored by flooring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

joedirt63

hey guys, well time to ask another uh question. flooring. one room of many I'm remodeling has a carpet and padding on it. now I justput the carpet and padding down last summer ,for my daughter, this house was suppose to be hers ,but,???? long story. anyhooo . the carpet is comeing up and I want to do laminate ,son's request. since the floor has padding on it already and about a gagillion staples. could I put the laminate over the top of the foam padding? it's a 9x 12 room shaped like a L . thanks.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
JD
Site Admin

I am pretty sure your floor would be too soft. All that give could cause the laminate to pull apart when walking on it. It is a pain, but I would pull the staples.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

It may depend on if the flooring has the foam attached to the plank, or is it uses a separate pad. You may be fine pulling the pad and driving the staples all the way in. That would be a good job for the son to do!!!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

well the planks are about 6 inch wide and 5 or 6 mil thick, the pading is pretty firm more rubber compound than foam. might as well just pull it and do it the right way darn!!!!. well it's his room now he's got a project. maybe he'll keep it clearner after he put some sweat into it . thanks JD and GREG.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
michael1982

Yeah I would agree getting rid of the pad is probably the way to go, I know we had to admit but age breaks down things and as the pad breaks down from normal wear, and furniture, etc it will lead to slopes or hills in the pad underneath the laminate until it will become a trip hazard.
Norm Frechette

joedirt63 wrote:we might as well just pull it and do it the right way darn!!!!.
i think you just answered your own question

when you buy the laminate flooring look for the kind with the foam backing already attached