Looking for shower door seal

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mdnagel

I've got a walk-in shower with two sliding doors. The doors are plastic (I think!) with about 1/8" gray seals showing in the front that, apparently, are to hold the plastic in (more than doing any "sealing" against water), kind of like the gray rubber that's used to hold in screens in window screens. Anyway, the seals are a bit stained and looking pretty ugly, not to mention a bit dried. I figured that I should be able to locate some sort of replacement, but am not finding anything. I'm not really interested in removing them and replacing with some sort of calking, as I figure that any caulking job would end up looking worse than the existing rubber: the plastic is a bit milky, neither white or clear caulking would look good.
joedirt63

hello, if it's what i'm pictureing in my mind. the best way to repair it would be take it apart, similar to a storm window and replaced the seal. home stores like homedepot or lowes should have the materials you need to "build" a window and the seal you'll need.it fits snugly into the metal channel of the frame and holds the "glass or plastic " panel in place, or try a glass shop either for the material or repair.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
JD
Site Admin

A Glass company that actually offers window repairs would have the rubber insert you need. A lot of today's vinyl window companies do not offer repairs on aluminum windows and such.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mdnagel

I'm not looking to change out the plastic, just the strip. I took a closer look at it and see that it's a harder plastic than I'd previously thought: maybe due to age? anyway, it's not as pliable as the rubber that's used for window (and door) screens. I think that the primary function is to hold the plastic in rather than do any sealing (which is why I don't think using any caulking or sealant would be a solution).

I think that you're right, JD, best a window place might be my best bet.
JD
Site Admin

In Fresno, I would take the doors to Carroll-David glass. This is an old school glass company that made it's good name before there were vinyl windows. They have these huge carpeted tables to work on and they have all the right tools and experience. They would install the rubbers for a very reasonable price. I don't know if you know of a glass store like this, but they are out there.

A person could use a floor as a table. You'll need a rubber hammer, screwdrivers and some kind of pick, like a dentist tool. Yes, a regular hammer, and pocketknife would work too, maybe.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.