sheet rock and vapor barrier

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

joedirt63

Hello guys, well I'm gutting the master bath in my newly aquiered 87 zimmer, turning it into a 3rd bedroom. question is walls are down to studs , insulation and then the tin sideing outside. where should i put the vapor barrier detween the insulation and interior sheet rock or on the outside of the insulation and the sideing.??
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Well Joe, this seems to be an ongoing debate with no real answer. I guess since you are open to the studs put plastic up on the inside. If at a later date you open the siding up go with house wrap.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

The purpose of a vapour barrier is to prevent the warm moist air inside your home from passing through the wall and saturating the insulation rendering it useless.
From the outside the insulation needs to breath.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
joedirt63

thanks guys. both make sense to me,today all the subflooring is comeing out ;waterdamage from the bath, it had a old jacuzzi,a shower and double vanity and a toilet. when the floor is open then i plan to block off all the seware lines and water supply. surprizeingly that old quest pipeing didn't leak at the unions like it did in my other m/h and it was a 94. this one seems to be built better in the basic structer.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me