Self cleaning oven. Safe to use?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Italics Mine

The last time I used a self-cleaning oven was in my old stick house. I remember the electric stove became hotter than hell as part of the cleaning process.
I now have a 1985 double-wide with flimsy panelling walls, even in the kitchen. I've been afraid to use the self-cleaning oven fearing the wall, on the left side of the 2009 propane gas stove, will burst into flames from the extreme heat.
Are my fears groundless?
Greg

Groundless? I would say that there may have been a history fires started by ovens, but also by lamps, food left on the stove and a host of other causes. My advise would be to do it when you are around to keep an eye on things. We did ours' last week and it does indeed get hot, but I would doubt that it would burst into flames. You DO want to open a window for ventilation, since the smell of incinerating food does get a little strong.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Groundless and possibly verging on paranoia regarding a extreme fear of fire..
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
stevieb

My new (only 1 year old) propane gas stove sits between 2 cabinets whose sides are only paneling. Turkey splattered all over the oven and we used the self cleaning feature. It did get hot and we could detect a red glow looking in the oven window. The paneling stayed cool and we kept an eye on things. The neighbors were more worried than we were. LOL They are all afraid of gas but not when the power goes out and we cook for them !! The stove was bought from the gas company and installed and situation ok'd by them. No fears! It does smell and get hot so beware, open the nearest window and use your exhaust fan!
flcruising

If you have a pet bird, I'd be afraid of the fumes killing it, but everyone else has given you good advice.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]