Help me….

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gillard

Hey guys

I am new here and currently looking into buying a mobile home. It’s a 12 x 50 everything looks well no water damage no roof leaks and the windows are good. The current owner does not know anything about it was given to him many years ago as a gift from a family member. All he knows it is a 1975 I had not seen any identification stamps or tags on the back of the home or any where else. My question is to move this home I need to know the make model # and CSA certification number to get a permit to be able to transport. Where would I find this information on the mobile home?
kashton

Check on the inside of the cupboards above the fridge. All of my info it tacked to the back of the cupboard door. I found that allot of the older mobiles are like that.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
geraldk

hiya gillard,,

just a few hints from personal experiances ive had ,those decals you are looking for are always near the front door up here but if the m/h has been sided it will be covered up so you can do a good look see on the inside of the m/h ive seen spec sheets on the inside of a cupboard door,inside of the master bedroom closet,inside the door of the electrical panel,, or near the hot water heater. im sure others will have a few more locations that they have found the spec sheets...
im not a dr. but ill take a look
Harry

Hi

Lots of data sheets are located near the electrical panels....in a closet/pantry.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

Hi gillard,

Welcome to the forum!

In most cases down here in the states, anything older than a 1977 home will not have the ID tags on the back of the home. We call these homes pre-huds down here. Pre hud regulations. We own a 73 home. None of that information was available anywhere on our home when we bought it!

What I had to do was go to the local recorders office and basically backtrack the homes history. That gave me all the information that I needed here. I was lucky, the home has only had 3 owners, us being the 3rd owner. I knew the 2nd owner, and the first owner contacted me soon after we bought the place. Even after all of that, I still don't know who manufactured the home originally! But I did get all the info for financing, insurance, etc!

I'm sure that you have some sort of governing board for taxes on mobile homes, and insurance companies. See if you can find that info that way.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
altasnowman

you will usually find trailer info inside either kitchen cupboard or electrical panel cover. however having said that over the years painting of doors may have happened, if that is the case you will have to be very careful in removing the paint. good luck in finding the info.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Yanita

Hi,

Forgot to mention to please read the "sticky" at the beginning of the repair forum topics. There is one titled, Purchasing a Used Mobile Home. Maybe something in there you possibly overlooked. Remember this is just a guide line and not all things are mentioned. This is not intended to be in lieu of a professional inspection.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
gillard

Hey

Thanks for all the help I had found the information I needed. Now the fun begins I am going to have it moved to its new location within a month. I first need to get the sewer and water ran and next would be to get the pad ready. I went to home depot and asked them for the correct concert pads which where lined with steal they sold me 6mm poly warp for a vapor barrier. Which goes on the ground first then gravel then my concert pads then my chucks at least that are what they told me I had taken a look at my vapor barrier and one side is white and the other black which side faces the ground? Once I get the mobile home on the land I will start the repairs. I had gotten this home for next to noting the floor is good but the belly is soft in some areas no water stains in the mh or the roof. My roof does have some surface rust on the seams it looks like it was never touched since new witch was 1975 a buddy of mine told me to seal the seams with this thick silver paint he had forgot the name of it and had not used it in years. Is there such a product and if so what is it called I will have lots of repairs to be done before I am ready to move in wish me luck guys and gals.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Gillard,

Could you tell us where you ended up finding the mobile home information? A lot of forum users will ask this question.

I haven't seen a white and black 6mil poly, but I would imagine it would not make much difference as a vapor barrier under the home. The white side may be to reflect heat when exposed to the sun.

The silver stuff your friend mentioned might be Alum-a-seal. Personally, I would not use that product. It tends to dry out and crack. Using a good elastomeric after prepping the metal would last longer and be easier to work with in my opinion. The white sealants available come in two basic types. The lesser expensive white elastomeric like Anvil, Henry's and Cool King, costing about $60 for 5 gallons and then more expensive longer lasting coatings like Kool Seal to Conklin BenchMark and Rubber Roof, costing $150 to $350 respectively. For the most part, you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi Gillard,

Just so we understand each other...the ground vapor barrier is nothing more than 6mil plastic laid directly on the ground, typically there is no stone, gravel laid on top of it, at least here in the states.

This, again, here in the states is either set in place before the home is set up or after the home is set up. It is much easier to do before.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
geraldk

hey gillard,, another suggestion up here in edmonton alta you do need a 6 mil layer of poly on the ground surface not covered with anything. and also here they must blocked be a minimum of 36 inches off the ground pls check with your nearest town or county for all there laws also your insurance company
im not a dr. but ill take a look
altasnowman

Hi Gillard,
6 mil poly (if blk & wht) place so that black side is down. if you are blocking your home you will want to place your blocking on a 6"base of gravel, this will help in keeping water away from blocking, and a hight of 36" is required between bottom of trailer and ground. you may want to set piles before you set trailer in place with anchor eyes set in the concrete, but check with your insurance company for their requirements in so far as your home being blocked. if you can afford it go with pilings as they will bring most blocking that you need off the ground and will also serve as tie downs in insurance company so requires.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......