ceiling paint

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mr bozo

About 11 months ago I posted here asking for paint color suggestions for a mobile home ceiling with water spots to cover. In case anyone is interested, I ended up using a Lowe's Valspar paint called Ceiling White, oddly enough. It sounded like an appropriated color and it turned out to be a pretty close match to the original paint. I used a satin sheen and that was a good match as well. It may not be perfect but unless one is looking for it, the new paint isn't noticeable. It's a lot better than the pure primer white and I didn't have to repaint the entire ceiling.
Greg

You got lucky, I ended up doing the whole place except 2 rooms since since the ceilings were connected.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
michael1982

I don't know what we are going to paint it, but in an effort to try and get around the textured ceiling issue in ours here is my plan/issues.....

1st Issue is the previous renters were smokers prior to our purchase (smoke stains ) / along with typical kitchen smoke above stove area darkening. Cleaning is almost continuous in the kitchen and I made it look terrible by doing the suggestions found online for textured ceiling of using Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom foam on the ceiling, it cleans well, but then it makes the rest of the ceiling look like a darker white. So....

My plan with the help of a helpful young lady at a local home improvement location is to prime the ceiling with Zinsser primer. They didn't carry Kilz and spoke higher of Zinsser products. I intended to try and paint with a sprayer but after speaking with people who have painted with sprayers not sure if that is going to happen now, most complain that the sprayers never work the same after the 1st use they clog often, etc.... so sounds like I am rolling the textured ceiling and hopefully to the right texture for cleaning later.
Steve S.

I used a Kilz product called Kilz Premium, a white pigmented sealer-primer-stainblocker on parts of my ceiling which had ugly brown stains from leaky roof vents. Worked beautifully and was a perfect match to original ceiling white...it has a bit more sheen than the dull surface of the tiles but is hardly noticeable to the unsuspecting eye.