Electrical Fault

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CPA

I have a series of outlets that have developed a fault. There are three outlets on this particular 20 amp breaker. It is a tandem Square D breaker that feeds two kitchen outlets and one outlet in the hallway. The other side of the breaker feeds the remaining kitchen outlets.

This morning as my wife was using an electric griddle on one of the outlets, it failed. A short time later it came back on. Then it failed again. The particular outlet she was using was at the end of the series.

I took apart the outlet and tested the wires. Testing the Positive to the Ground wire yields the full 110 volts. Testing the Positive to the Neutral yields about 80 volts, suggesting a weak ground at the main or a ground somewhere along the line. I back tracked to each of the outlets on the series and found the same results, suggesting that the fault is somewhere ahead of the first outlet.

I checked the neutral wire attached to the bar in the main and it appears to be fine. I can't imagine that the breaker is bad since it is throwing 110 volts through the Positive and the Ground.

I am thinking that I might have to replace the section of wire that feeds the first outlet in the hallway to the panel.

I'm open to suggestions on how to accomplish this in the simplest fashion while still feeding the wires through the walls.
The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.
Greg

You will need to check the voltage at the breaker since you have found an 80 volt reading you need to work backwards untill you find the full 110v.
IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS IN YOU ABILITY PLEASE CALL AN ELECTRICIAN!!
We do not like to hear about any family members getting hurt or killed by electricity. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Hi,

Go to first outlet on the circuit, remove the black (Hot) and white(Neutral) wires coming to the outlet from breaker.

Place one meter lead on each wire at same time and test across them. This is best done with alligator clips on ends of meter leads.

Then, go to breaker, remove the two wires and test across the breaker.

IF you have full voltage at breaker, but not at first outlet, you most likely have a bare spot on hot wire touching against ground wire somewhere.

You can buy needed wire, 12/2 w/grnd and to verify this, connect at breaker.

Then run through home along floor enough to reach outlet , connect to outlet and if not already, connect other cable to outlet going to next outlet.

Flip on breaker and test again with meter and see if all is ok.

If so, turn off power and you're ready to run wire properly or have an electrician run it.

Fishing wire through floors and walls can get tricky and may be best to have it done.

As Greg stated, only you know your abilities, never go beyond them with electrical DIY as it is very unforgiving.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
altasnowman

hi, good chance you have a short in the wall(nail) between panel and first plug. you can run a temporary line to check, but this is only temporary. would recommend that you have a electrician come out to inspect as you may have a more serious problem and it could become something that you don't want to have to explain to your insurance company unless you are a journeyman electrician. best to error on the side of safety than on the side of the all mighty dollar.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
CPA

I located the fault. There were three other outlets on the breaker that I had not found during my first test. Working those backwards I was able to isolate the one that was grounding out.

The problem proved to be a combination of things. The wire is a heavier 12 guage that is difficult to force into the outlet box. Add to that, the fact that someone chose to wire two of the wires to the screw terminals and insert the other two wires into the push-in style terminals. The ones that they inserted into the push-in connectors didn't hold very well when the outlet was forced back into the outlet box. Net result, an intermittent short.
The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.