Electrical Issue

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nacoqtpie

My husband and I bought a 1999 Champion double wide 2 years ago.

A couple of weeks ago, I walked into the master bath, and flipped on the light. About 3 seconds after I turned on the light, one of the lights blew. From there the electricity stayed on for about 5 seconds and then the electricity to the entire master bath, master bedroom and the outlet that is on the living room side of the bedroom wall is completely out, other than the CFI outlet in the master bath. We changed the breaker, hoping that it was simply that, with no luck. My step dad is an electrician and has told us to do a continuity (sp?) test. The problem with tht is, we have no dea how to take out the light switches or light fixtures! There are no screws of any kind on the outside of either! I can post a picture if need be.
Help! I need electricity in my bedroom again!
Thanks in advance. :-)
Greg

Hi & welcome. It sounds like you have the covers that snap into place. Try gently prying under the cover and see if it pops off. If it has the original outlets & switches they are most likely the "Scotch lock" type connector type - JUNK. I'm sure your step father can explain them to you. I highly recommend switching them to the more common box & outlet/switch system.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
nacoqtpie

Thanks Greg! We have some plans for this place. I would really like to change out the lighting! I don't want to do a ton of work toth place because we're likely moving for my husband to go to college.
Any idea on how to take the lights off? I can post a piture of those as well if need be!