Heating the underside of Single wide

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MobileMike

I am trying to figure out how much space is under my single wide. It's 14x68, one end the home is 2' off the ground, the opposite end is' 5' off the ground. The end that is 5' off the ground I would like to hang a electric wall heater, but have no clue what sq footage I need. The skirting walls are 2x6 with R23 insulation. Winter is 5 months long where I live.
Mid 70's Atco single wide 14x70 , 2x4 construction
Greg

by my figures, 952 sq/ft, If you split the difference and go 3' high that gives you 2856 cu/ft of space. I would guess (and that's all it is) that a 10k BTU should do the job if the skirting is tight. I would go with a wireless thermometer to monitor the the temp. under there.

Greg.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

How are you heating the home/ if forced air you should just direct one vent down into the crawl space.
I would guess you probably have electric up as well though since that is what you are thinking of in the crawl space.
Why do you want to heat the crawl space.
Where I am, Ontario, we have long cold winters however the ground under the homes does not freeze if the skirting is properly closed and insulated. There is sufficient radiant heat from both the underside of the home and the ground to provide sufficient warmth.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Dean3

I agree with Greg S. but if you are intent on heating the space then I agree with "regular" Greg with only a couple small changes-- I assume it is a straight slope,not having any quick steps to the ground underneath. If it is 3.5' off the ground midpoint then there is 3332 cubic feet to heat. Maybe check for a heater that will heat 3500 cubic feet. Maybe use two heaters and get ones that never glow on any setting. If they glow the risk of fire raises IMO. Having two heaters will give a little heat if one dies.

Fire can occur if they get too dusty or if a critter digs in and nests close to the heater among other ways I'm sure.

Diverting an upper vent is probably safest,but,what is your furnace rated for? Would adding 3000 cubic feet overwork it? 952 x 8 = 7616 cubic feet above the floor plus the 3332 cu ft underneath equals 10948 cu ft.

Cubic feet is length Xs width (then that answer) Xs height.

I would invest in good quality heat tape for any and all pipes,a good install and well insulated. If you have big bucks to spend on electricity and are intent on the heaters then insulate and seal the heck out of the skirt and vent it come Spring. I hope I got all of that right :? :)
Dean3

The upper cu ft is assuming an 8' flat ceiling,a vaulted ceiling adds cu ft.
MobileMike

Thanks for all the help. The only reason I am asking this question is, it is looking like another year of no furnace, (we are on a waiting list for a propane tank). My furnace is 80,000btu in and 64,000 btu out, there is one vent from the furnace down there.

For this winter I put all my water lines in the ceiling, and put heat tape on my main drain pipe to my septic tank. My sewer lines are only 2' underground.
Mid 70's Atco single wide 14x70 , 2x4 construction