Skirting Venting Ideas?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

StanD

We just bought a home in MHP and it sits on a dirt lot.
It's very wet (drainage issue) on one end underneath the home.
After correcting the drainage issue, I'd like to remove some skirting on both ends so that the air can flow through and dry out.
We have wild animals around I have to keep them out.
I was thinking of making some panels out of furring strips and screen material or chicken wire to keep the animals out but let the air through.

Has anyone done this before and have other ideas? I'd like something a little better looking as I am sure it will take weeks if not months to dry out. The neighbors might appreciate it.

The skirting fits into a track at the top and bottom. Each piece is about 6-8 inches wide and interlock into each other.

TIA
Greg

Hi & welcome. You could try some vented soffit sections, they may slip right in. Or you could build a wood frame opening and make a few screened panels to slip into place. I have 2 panels that I put in place in warm weather that are about 2'x3' I remove them in the winter to keep the underside sealed up. The book says you need 1sq ft of ventilation per 100 sq ft of floor space.

You may want to think about running a fan during the day to force air movement also. Plastic vapor barrier on the ground may help also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
StanD

Thanks for the welcome and info.
I'll check out the vents at the local hardware store.
I also have a fan I can run under there.
JD
Site Admin

I like the idea of having a 4' wide (or so) panel on each side of the end in question. I would think that would allow plenty of circulation to dry out that area. Then you could just remove enough skirting panels to fit in your screen panels. When buying your screen, check out "Hardware Cloth", which is a wire mesh screen but much stronger than chicken wire. Places like Orchard Hardware Supply sells the hardware cloth by the foot, so you don't have to buy the whole roll. I think it would cost a little over a dollar a foot.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
canman47

Yeah, I agree that hardware cloth is way better than chicken wire. I posted about raccoons getting under my place and shredding it. While re building the skirting I had put up chicken wire and the coons had no problem bending it and getting through. Also mice can go right through it and maybe rats too. I assure you that you never want raccoons to move into your home's underbelly.
Norm Frechette

my mh has this type of skirt venting. the one on the right. maybe it would work for yours

StanD

Norm Frechette wrote:my mh has this type of skirt venting. the one on the right. maybe it would work for yours

Mine looks like the one on the right.
I decided to add more air flow and will add 4 of these 14X24 vents:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_39934-52595-GLF ... facetInfo=