Winterizing a manufactured home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Psaltee

Hi All!
Interested in winterizing our home and particularly our outside faucets. Since our water heater is on the exterior of the home we will put a jacket on it. What other concerns should I be made aware of other than exterior faucets? Just had the roof done and the gutters cleaned. Have new double pain windows all around. Have I missed anything? What is the best way to winterize the outside faucets? All I have ever done in the past is to place insulated caps over the faucets and called it good. Seem to work well. I shut the water off, as the fall season begins, to the exterior faucets. Everything seems to be in place. Suggestions/comments welcome. psaltee
Greg

If you can shut the water to them off I would do that, open & drain them (I would leave the faucet open) and install the insulated caps.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
UmpJJ

Is there a separate shutoff for an outside faucet? Would it be close to where the faucet runs through to the outside? I've never even covered my outside faucet, much less open and drain it or cover it.
Our faucet side has been east for the past 8 years, and now (after the recent move) it's on the south side (LOTS of sun).

UmpJJ
1987Commodore

Depends on the home. Mine does not have a shut off.
Greg

When I install outside faucets I like to add an inside shutoff, that way the line from the valve can be drained for the winter.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
WildIrish

UmpJJ wrote:Is there a separate shutoff for an outside faucet? Would it be close to where the faucet runs through to the outside?
We had an awful time finding ours. It turned out to be in the crawlspace, near the pipes leading up to the laundry room.
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]
ttiiggy

If the faucets that you have are the type that have the looong stem that shuts off the valve way inside and that doesn't freeze, you might not have to do anything.
If your faucet is just a valve on the outside of the building, you probably need to find some way to drain it. Hopefully when it was installed, a valve was included.

This is just one more of those 'little things' that I am trying to think ahead and do right while I am setting up my 'new to me' mobile home.
Psaltee

Know what you mean Ump ...
We're having a hard time finding ours as well. We have a junction of sorts at the front corner of the house and the outside water that runs the sprinklers is elevated from the ground up about 2-2 1/2 feet. The shut-off for the inside water is down about 2 feet and well insulated. There is an outside water line in the back of the house the same length as the front. Will an easy wrap around of insulation deter freezing until we find the shut-off. Would like to find that shut-off! psaltee