Installing a Propane Heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

UmpJJ

I'm installing a wall mounted propane heater to supplement my electric heat. Installation requires a 4" diameter hole cut about 3' up from the floor. Am I liable to hit any electric wire that high up in the wall?
The home is a 2001 16 X 80 Patriot.

UmpJJ
Greg

Hi & welcome. Most manufacturers run electrical about 12" off the floor( at the outlet height) At 3' you SHOULD be safe, but I would use a hole saw and open the interior wall first. Go just deep enough to get through the wall board and you can get a better look at what's in there.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
150baker

Make sure propane heater draws its combustion air from the outside via a pipe
If install instructions say to leave a window open when operating this is a sure sign that it could be a problem.
Just a heads up
UmpJJ

Thanks for the info...yep, the heater is a "direct-vent" heater, and the hole cut to the outside serves as a vent and a means to draw fresh combustible air. Here's the link if you're curious -
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200362089

JJ
150baker

Those are great install instructions, easy to follow.
Alot of folks are switching from pellet and wood to a small gas/propane for back up.
I think the allure of packing wood and buying a ton of pellets is faiding.
UmpJJ

Update: I hung the heater on the wall and cut a 6" diameter vent hole for intake and outflow. The the insturctions said "Get furnace cement for the vent piping, and install a propane line". OK, that's over my head. I've called an HVAC guy who will be out in a few days to do THAT work, and then the propane folks will come out and set a tank and run a line to the hookup.
Not quite as easy as I thought, but I do want it done right!

UmpJJ