Skirting with Vinyl Siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

SteveSch

Hello,

I had new siding installed on my home. They put the vinyl siding all the way to the bottom of the home. Now there is no room to attach the skirting.

I am using metal roofing as skirting. Can I just attach the J-channel to the vinyl siding at the bottom?

Thank you,
Steve
JD
Site Admin

You could add a 2x4 to the bottom of the framing rim joist to extend that area. I would rip 2x studs in half and use that as a nailing plate for the skirting. Run the 2x2 parallel with the rim joist to give you something to nail the 2x4 to.

I wouldn't nail anything through the vinyl siding as it needs to be able to breathe/move through expansion and contraction.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg S

If it were me I would unclip the siding from the starter strip, remove the starter, attach a aluminum or vinyl Z molding, then reinstall the starter and reclip the vinyl siding. Then by adding the 2X as suggested the skirting will have a cover at the top edge.
It's a fair bit of time but it will look best with something covering the top of the skirting and will prevent water from getting in behind.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)