Can't decide on flooring, seeking advice.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

flight301

I've been trying to plan what type of flooring I will replace my carpet/ugly damaged tiles in my new Mobile Home with. My number 1 priority is re-flooring my mobile home with something durable, something that won't be ruined in a couple of years, attractiveness comes in close 2nd. No matter how much I like the way any type of flooring looks, I don't want flooring that I will feel like I need to replace again in a couple years (whether because it looks aged, or gets damaged easily), I don't want flooring that will wear fast/easily- I want it to hold up well.

Originally I had seen a picture of a mobile home w/ Laminate wood flooring at thought it looked great, and it wasn't out of our price range. I was sold on the idea from pictures- but I started doing a lot of research and was turned off by stories of the Laminate getting run down fast/ruined by water exposure. I don't want a floor that will get destroyed easily, or that will shrink/warp/bubble! Its inevitable that water/moisture will get on the floor, so the idea of laminate is not so attractive to me.

I was looking at vinyl planks/tiles but I read horror stories about durability as well. The thought of tiles starting to come up or warping turns me off to this type of flooring.

Then I thought about ceramic/porcelain- but I read that this wouldn't work in a mobile home, because mobile homes flex/move too much.

I haven't considered hard wood, which I don't think is practical in a mobile home either.

I almost feel like I have no good options as far as durable flooring goes. Like if I invest in one of the mobile home appropriate flooring options I have- there is only a so-so chance of the flooring being long lasting/attractive/durable in my Mobile home. Its inevitable that some of the MH flooring no-nos will happen (water, moving furniture, pets running around, dirt/mud), I don't want a floor that can be ruined so darn easily. I would really like feedback from those who have had good experiences with whatever flooring options they chose.
Greg

As I have said, GOOD laminate floors are as close to bullet proof as you can come. There may be pet issues in some cases, it is like ice to them and the may slip or fall if they run across it.

Hardwood floors, I have seen them in mobiles. Again I would go with a GOOD quality floor, not the thin pre finished planks. I had a 3/4" Hickory floor in my cabin when I built it, nice floor but a lot of work to put down and finish.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
process_server

The reason most laminate wood flooring problems occur is because of cheap materials and improper installation. There are a variety of laminate wood flooring products that range from very cheap to very expensive depending on the density of the filler and the difference between real wood and vinyl veneer laminate flooring. Many people try to permanently attach or glue the floor covering to the subfloor instead of floating the floor covering, they don't use a proper vapor barrier (if necessary depending on floor covering), they use a hammer directly on the edges of the wood planks trying to save the money on the specialty installation tools, etc. etc. Read the directions carefully and don't skimp on the labor or materials required. Of course, making sure your MH is properly leveled is an important first step even with a floated floor covering. As I've discovered so many times in the past . . . do it right the FIRST time!
Kriter

Hey Yall I just rejoined and this here is my first post.I have a 1990 single wide.My waterheater went to leaking and I didnt know it in time.Ruined the hallway floor.Im going to have to replace the plywood in the hall.Im thinking on using this rubber flooring I seen in Lowes.It dont get glued down.It goes together like a puzzle but all the pieces are the same.I also want a durable floor.I dont know if this would be something youd like or not flight301.I dont know yet how much it costs.It comes in different textures and colors.Im going with black.
wheelchair_mom

I agree with Greg. We installed "Resiliant flooring by traffic Master", 3 years later with a power wheelchair, 3 kids and a great dane abusing it constantly it looks like it did the day we installed it. It is also called a floating floor as it is not fixed to anything so it goes over most any surface so ideal for mobile home since leveling can be an issue. Super easy to install and keep clean. It is also water proof and non-absorbent. It is also very affordable compared to wood or pergo.
DCDiva

I have experience with vinyl planks,hard wood floors,ceramic tiles in my house and better peal and stick tiles--Armstrong 25 yr and laminate floors in mobile home. Can answer any ?'s
The mh we r currently gutted and total remodel is going to get the Armstrong 25 yr tiles--they look like a stone with mixes of tans .88 each unless on sale--my daughter has a dog--a wolf--and he sheds and brings in mud dirt all the time--you can not see anything on this vs all the above that looks dirty and has scraches andmarks all the time,all u do is clean with the other things,I will try to post a photo.
Melissa
thelovelychristine

we put down armstrong sheet vinyl that looks like hardwood. it is AB-FAB!!
it comes in all colors, and glossy to rustic looks, and is a dream to clean