infestation problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bnrboy775

Hey guys... I have an infestation problem with fleas... they have pretty much taken over underneath my mobile home. Living in the gravel. Anyone have any ideas for treatment. I really don't want to spray chemicals under there but if needed I guess that will be the only option. I can literally watching them jump in the gravel under the house.
cmanningjr

Sevin dust will be the best bet. Maybe someone has a chem free idea. Good luck!
Greg

A few bug bombs ? Not sure how well they would work in a situation like that.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
oldfart

Son, I've got some bad news for ya. Nuke 'em...it's the only option. Seriously, if you've got fleas under the home...you've got 'em in the home. Try this...put on a pair of shorts and white socks. Now go walk around the inside of the home for a bit. Then look close at them socks. I'll be shocked if they're not covered in fleas. If it was me (and I've been there) I'd get as many flea bombs as I could carry, try and seal up the skirting as well as possible then I'd set a half dozen bombs off under the house and another bunch of them inside. Then use the vacume cleaner twice a day....every day..on every floor surface. Put a flea coller in the vacume bag as well. Don't quit until ya don't see no more fleas on them socks. It took me 3 months and I burned all my furniture to rid my home! Audie...the Oldfart.
Greg

Gee, Audie, you really shouldn't be subtle!!

If you go the bomb route, MAKE SURE ALL PILOT LIGHTS ARE OFF!!! We had a home blow up here from bug bombs & lit pilots on the stove.

Greg
bnrboy775

We did have fleas inside the house also.... found online to spread salt all over the carpet and leave it for a week and then vacuumed it up... so far no more have shown up in the house... I discovered the fleas outside yesterday... we tried bug bombs inside the house several times and it never worked... I've read that diatomatious earth will kill them... or I could try spreading salt all over under the house too... I just don't know what will work the best in the gravel.... anyone know if they can live in the fiberglass insulation under the house?
bnrboy775

I really don't want to have to spray chemicals under there that's why im trying to find a more natural approach... plus everyone keeps saying the chemicals are working less and less on them...
Mark440

There are pretty much too options: chemicals - or - chickens.

I live way out in the country, so I opted for the chickens. Six of them - and there isn't a bug that doesn't get their attention. With the chickens, I got rid of the fleas, got fresh eggs on a daily basis, and also got poop everywhere. So the trade off still has some "cons" to it!

I'm not a tree hugger per se - but I maintain a very healthy respect for the land and the rain - which washes the chemicals off to the streams to the lakes and back to my tap.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
bnrboy775

I am going to go to one of the local feed stores tomorrow... someone told me they have availability to get stronger chemicals then the ones that you can get from stores like walmart and home depot. I am at a loss as to what to do now... I've tried everything I can think of. I read online about nematodes that will eat the fleas... anyone know about those? Would they work in gravel? Or does it have to be in the grass?
Greg

It may be time to call in the pros.

Greg
bnrboy775

Well I got some permethrin from the feed store... put an igr in with it... hopefully that will do the trick... if not it looks like ill be buying some chickens... I wouldn't mine having the free eggs anyways!!
Greg S

Chemicals are the only way to go if you hope to be successful. All the home remedies, including chickens, only control the flees they do not eliminate them.
Go with professional grade, exterminator quality, or heavy duty sprays sold by veterinarians.

You basically have two choices embrace the trees, and the flees, or get the job done right once and for all with the most toxic chemicals available.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)