Portable generators

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mdnagel

I have kind of a generic question on hooking up generators, though with a specific use...

Mains power from my utility company (from their meter box) feeds into an outside breaker panel (200 amp), which then feeds a house breaker panel (100 amp) located inside the house (1997 vintage). The outside breaker panel also feeds a security light (top of same pole where the outside panels are) and my pump house (which I wired for a sub panel- 30 amp). Is this a common setup, the electric company's feed feeding to an outside breaker panel (which then feeds a panel in the home)?

I understand how things need to work for a generator, but I'm just not able to figure out how I can serve two panels, the house panel AND the pump house panel. NOTE: all except one 30 amp circuit for the dryer (soon to be redeployed for use with an electric hot water heater; dryer switched to propane) is pretty lightly loaded.

I can't think that I'm the only one with a requirement like this.

The pump house is the most important, though I can't think that I could justify allocating an entire generator for just this purpose. I plan on firing back up my freezer (in the house) and really would like to have IT on emergency back up as well.

I would be looking to use a transfer switch. No plans on using extension cords! The entire setup would be inspected/signed off by a licensed professional.
Greg

My advise would be to talk to who ever is going to be inspecting the work and get his thoughts since he will be signing off on the work. There is no since in doing it twice.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mdnagel

Yes, I'd have any plans looked at first. But... my question: is it common that there are, in essence, TWO breaker panels for mobile homes (the outside one and then the inside one)?
Greg

It is very common in parks. Many utility companies place a "temporary" service for mobile homes since they do not have weatherheads for an entrance cable. Many people tie in there to power outdoor things like wells.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mdnagel

OK, good to know that it's not some odd situation. I recall hearing "temporary" before, but always thought that perhaps this was just an uncompleted job...
Norm Frechette

mdnagel wrote:Is this a common setup, the electric company's feed feeding to an outside breaker panel (which then feeds a panel in the home)?
i'm not going to speculate whats common, but thats the way my mobile home is set up.

my brother got me all set up over last weekend regarding my generator situation so all is well in my little area of the world. :lol:

you cant beat a free generator and cable and installation (he bought a new and bigger generator and i got the hand-me-down one)

if its free, its for me :!:
heatnar

We know that Portable generators is which Portable generators help protect your family and possessions during a power outage. They are also useful when camping, on the job site or anywhere you need power. The best time to buy a generator is before you need one. Briggs & Stratton portable generators are designed to provide power for home, work or play. :lol: plumbing plumber