skirting removal

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sbohringer

Skirting was installed on my repo modular home. It has no access panels. I am out of town but my friend in the area says he cannot get any panels off. I spoke with the home dealer and they tell me standard panels were installed and they just "pop off & on". Should I have access panels? Do I need a special tool? Do I just need some instruction? I need to turn on the water. Thanks
JD
Site Admin

With the vinyl skirting, go to an end lap of the top trim and lift up on the top piece, usually the side to the left. You need to pop the skirting trim pieces loose from each other at the bottom of the trim. The right side just tucks into the left side. Pull up on the left (top) side, which opens up the back female portion of the trim a little. Then with the top trim piece pulled up, put down ward pressure on the trim as close as you can to the area where it goes into the female portion of trim. Use the heel of your hand and put some weight into it. Once some of the front male portion of the trim starts coming out, it will all pull out easily. Usually you don't have to pull it all the way off (unless it is a real short piece). Just enough to be able to pull two panels up through the top is enough.

Hard to explain, but it is easy once you get the hang of it.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
DaveyB

Lets see if I can explain a spiral staircase without using my hands ! :lol:

There is a horizontal strip at ground level which holds the base of the skirting. This is nothing more than a U shaped profile strip, nailed down, that the skirting sits in. Leave it alone unless you really have to change it out!

Across the top is another horizontal strip which hides the top edge of the skirting - this is the key to removing it! Think of this as an upside-down V shape, with one side secured to the side of the home, and the other side holds the top of the skirting in tight.

Place one hand under the edge of this top piece and lift it carefully - it will bend outwards, allowing you to reach under and pull the top of the skirting clear. Be careful not to bend it too far, or it will snap, especially with older skirting! Once you have it started, pull out the length of needed skirting so it is clear of the top strip.

The skirting itself consists of panels that hook together by the simple method of rolling the last ½ inch back on itself - forwards on one side and backwards on the other. Once you have a few panels exposed, you will quickly see this. Simply grasp the panel by the top edge and lift it out, and repeat for any more panels that you need to remove.

A word to the wise ... quite often the ground is not level, so each panel will be cut to go into a specific place. Mark the panels as you remove them you you can put them back in the same place later! Imagine if you will a jigsaw where all the pieces are the same shape and same color, just different lengths!!!

Hope that helps!

DaveyB
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝