wallpaper-attempting to paint bathroom

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bigbrad-diy

Hellos folks,
I am new to mobile home repair and new to working on mobile homes. I have always lived in typeical foundation stick built homes, and now living with my girlfriend in kansas in a 1985mobile home.

The problem is that we recently have decided to redo the one end of the home and now are in the bathroom. The bathroom appears to have years ( 2 layers) of wallpaper on it. The bottom appears to have come pre wrapped around the wallboard. I tryed the normal wallpaper stripper by dif and not a chance... I have read that you have to sand it all off the do multiple coats of primer before painting.

The sanding route is the one that I am currently undertaking, and go what a PIA. Messy and very time consuming to get all the paper off. Was wondering is if I am able to sand the walls and get them smooth to the touch, with some wallpaper still on them, would it be a problem? Could I then just do the two coats of primer and then paint??

Thank you very much for any insight!!
Greg

Hi & welcome. It my be possible that you have vinyl wall covered wall board. I didn't think it was popular until the 90's.

It may be quicker & easier to replace the sheetrock with new.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

What is under the paper? Wood? If it's like my "87, the original paper has a thin plastic coating on it. What I did was peel that very thin plastic off by finding a loose edge like around a staple, and peeling off strips. Time consuming, but provides a better base for the new paint. I was left with a paper coating over the thin wood. I then primed and painted. It turned out pretty good. I caulked along the battens before painting in my second room, to avoid having gaps show between the battens and the wall. Learned that from the first room. Now, I don't know how having another layer of paper applied over the original would affect the original layer.
bigbrad-diy

it appears to be sheetrock. but it was definately wrapped. I mean this stuff DOES NOT COME OFF. Even when using a sander wtih 60 grit to remove it it wont come off, but does make the wall a nice smooth surface for primer. I think that as long as I hand rub it later and check for smoothness it should be fine. I mean I dont ever think the paper on there will come off.
Greg

the other possibility would be to skim coat with joint compound and sand smooth. That has been done to smooth out textured vinyl wall paper.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
AbbottsManor

I didn't sand the walls, just the trim. Wash everything down with TSP or similar cleaner. I used several coats of primer, then several coats of color. I used Flat paint and a decent nap on the roller and you can not see the original texture at all.

Chris
bigbrad-diy

thanks for all the insight guys!