Exterior Outlet Cover Question - no wiring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dd716ted

On the side of my mfg home is an external outlet cover made of plastic and is starting to crack.. the outlet and wiring is fine. My question is: Is this cover just attached to the outlet as any cover usaed in a standard electrical box. I am reluctant to do anything to remove / replace it (expecially removing the excessive sealant around it) before I find out more about it... Picture of what I am talking about is attached.
plate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg S

It appears to be a standard, electrical safety approved exterior outlet cover. The circuit should be on a GFI which is what provides the safety factor.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

You may have some problems finding that exact cover, but any weather proof cover should fit. You may want to open it up and check for any corrosion on the back of the outlet also. Don't forget to kill the power first.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

That screw flange is a bit unusual, but the electrical box underneath should be standard. You will probably find screws under the covers too. Find the biggest exterior cover that will fit your outlet profile to cover as much of the footprint as possible. Hide any remaining footprint and seal the edge of the top and sides of the box with a premium exterior caulk. I like Vulkem 116 but DAP Dynaflex 230 is available in the small toothpaste type tubes and is available at most home stores.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.