are there minimum height requirements for windows?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ecastillo

I am new to manufactured homes. I've noticed that many, if not all, of the homes in my community have the windows placed very low to the floor. Most are installed with the bottoms of the windows about 16 inches from the floor. Is there a reason for this? Code requirement? I want to replace all of my windows when I replace my siding, but I don't want to use the existing openings. I want to completely change all of the rough openings in terms of the size and location of each window. Is there a minimum/maximum height requirement for the bottom sill of a window? Thanks.
JD
Site Admin

There is not a minimum height requirement, per se, but glass below 18" must be tempered glass. There is a maximum height for egress windows of 44". Egress windows must be 5.7SF or larger, with width minimum at 20" and height minimum of 24". You should check your local code office to see if locally there is a more stringent standard.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
DaveyB

JD gave a good answer, but it may be a little confusing if you don't understand the background.

A mobile or manufactured home is considered a vehicle in many states instead of a house. This means that they fall under the codes pertaining to RVs, since people live inside them. Because of this, a certain minimum number of windows are classed as fire exits and must comply with code standards for a fire exit.

In the case of a bedroom with only one window, that window must comply with the fire regulations as an exit. Using JD's figures (I'm too lazy to look them up right now), the window would have to be more than 20" wide, and the opening of the window more than 24" high - this means that for a window that slides vertically to open, the window height would have to be at least 4 feet, plus frame etc. This would be closer to 5 feet with the window frame, framing and surrounds. Assuming a wall height of 8 feet and the window stops 1 foot short of the top of the wall, then the bottom would be around 2 feet off the floor level.

As JD mentioned, check your local code office in case they have different standards!

Hope that helps!

DaveyB
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
150baker

I have include some illustrations on HUD requirements.
One does allow for the IRC.
Check with local juristiction.
Currently temepered glass per the HUD is only required at the locations called out per the illustrations.
You could have a living room with glass to the floor and meet the HUD standards but not the IRC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.