My Trailer Overhaul is Complete; 6+ mos.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kailor

All,

I've finally finished the complete remodel of one of my mobile homes. I've learned so much in this process that I'm willing to share with this forum; just ask questions. Would I do it again? Yes. Did I spend more than I wanted to? Yes, quite a bit more. Do I have that awesome feeling of satisfaction when the job was complete? Yes. Below is the link to my photo albums for this entire process. The albums are named:
Mobile Home Remodel 2011 - these pictures are from day 1 to pre finish work
Final Trailer Pics - these pictures show the trailer ready to rent

http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... er%20Pics/

Keith
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
JD
Site Admin

Thanks for the picture update on your project. It looks like a bunch of work! I noticed in one picture that the edges of your ridge cap on the roof looks like it is not sealed. Seems like rain could blow up in there when it is storming hard.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
kailor

You are correct JD. What is the best way to close that up? I tried some 100% silicone.
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
bobfather99

Nice job. Its Miller Time!!!
Tip your bartender.....
DaveyB

Unless you're in Minnesota where Miller just lost their sales license! :D Nice job though!
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
flcruising

Is that a membrane roof?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
kailor

Aaron,

The roof is the standard aluminum mobile home roof coated with Kool Seal.
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
JD
Site Admin

Keith- Screw down the edge of the ridgecap with 1/4" hex head screws, 4" o.c. Keep the hole that the screw makes 1/4' from the edge of the ridge cap. Then put a heavy bead of Vulkem 116 polyurethane sealant over the edge of the ridge cap, swirling up over each screw. Keep an even flow of the sealant going. You don't want any air pockets.

If you can't find Vulkem locally, you can order it from Stop Supply pretty cheap. Let them think you are a contractor and you should be able to get it for around S4.50 a tube. Most online places sell it for over $6 and crazy places are asking over $9. Yes, it is that kind of good.

Other than that, you can try whatever sealant you want, but I have found nothing that compares. I just had to redo and entire roof that I installed 6 years ago because the Vulkem was not available and I used an OSI polyurethane. I have seen my roofs over 20 years old with Vulkem, and it was still soft and pliable and leak free.

Anymore, I would never use silicone on a roof. Roofs need to be worked on from time to time and nothing sticks to silicone, not even more silicone.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.