Winter snow=new ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DCDiva

Here is my first week of vacation WOOHOO The winter of 2010+4ft of ice/snow on a 1973 MH
= collapsed roof/ceiling. The photos r after we jacked up the ceiling,it was below the window! This happened before we put a new roof over the MH, we had stopped working on it before this happend so we could start on my dd MH that is beside it--it had to be done,this was the bonus prize lol so we started on it again this week. We had to finish the floor first, then we started on the section we thought we would need to replace and after we had it down,we looked at the rest of the MH and it was bowed from the weight of the other ceiling pulling on it for a long time2/2010 until 7/2011 so we stripped all the ceiling and replaced it cost was @140 and so worth it--we can put up drywall and ceiling fans with no issues, now on to what we came down here to do--3 hours from home lol installing new windows and smart siding--will update later in week lol yea we had a change of plans there too lol
Enjoy,Melissa

DaveyB

0.0 A few more bits of wood and you'd have been better starting with a bare bones chassis and building a new one! :evil:

Nice to see the progress photos though, thanks for sharing! Did you hit any problems with the work so far, anything unusual that might be worth passing along as a tip?

Mind running riot here - just had a mental image of a "snow-proof roof" - extend the roof out on both sides so the extension is slightly longer than the roof over the MH. Use piano hinge along the top edge of the side wall to connect the roof, then counter-weight the actual roof over the MH so it stays balanced and in place. When the snow hits, there will be more over the extension than over the roof, and the roof will flip open, dumping the snow on the ground, then swing back into place. Modify this slightly and you can flip any pesky birds landing on the roof clear into the next county! Yep, the idea is full of holes, but it was funny at the time :lol:
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
DCDiva

Well due to zoning laws we have no choice--if we took it out then we could not replace w a single wide well nothing could b put back. The MH's r grandfathered in and can stay. We r replacing everything as the walls r 2x2 everywhere but @ the windows 2x3 and we r replacing all the doors and windows using 2x4 so we decidied to replace all the outside walls too so a new MH. It will b a rental and we like our rentals to b as problem free as possible, this way we know everything is new and well insulated.
The roofs we have on them the snow/ice/rain does slide right off of them
We just started July 2 so no problems as far as tips well wished we would have replace the ceiling first lol and in my dd MH--many of the things we r doing is due to dumb repairs from the other owners,MH design in the 1970's a 2x2 wall lasting. One tip--in both MH's the wiring was bad,had caused black hot spots in many places and there was or should have been a fire,highly recommend rewiring. Plus do not be afraid do one room at a time,replacing a floor from joist up is not hard to do or expensive--the whole mh floor,joist,blocks,insulation,plywood @ 450 to do a 12x50 MH
Crocmate

I have a ceiling problem that I have ideas on how to fix but wanted advise. We have a 1972 Lamplighter in NH that had a roof leak. Now the bathroom ceiling has a hole about the size of a softball. You can completely see through it. I found very light 18x24 ceiling tiles at Lowes called Fasade. I thought of using these since they are light. But maybe the weight of 20 of them might not be. And putting them over the existing ceiling tiles might not hold. I want to redo the ceiling but need ideas and without going through what the person in the picture did. I'm not that handy nor do I have the time and energy! :) Any help is greatly appreciated!!
DCDiva

In my blog http://myprojects-dcdiva.blogspot.com/
you will see that we used masonite--Lowes 4x8 @ $5 very light weight we painted like drywall- I would use a paint for bathroom use on ceiling I paint all of mine with semi gloss as it is easier to wash, the screw wholes you finish like a drywall screw whole---your ceiling is made like ours in the photo as we have 1973 MH taking the tiles down can cause damage as if it is still factory the staples they use r huge
Melissa DCDIVA
Crocmate

Thanks Melissa. I looked up masonite on Lowe's website and nothing came back. Is is under another name? I think this might work better than the 18x24 tiles as this can be nailed to the ceiling as opposed to glueing to existing longer tiles.
DCDiva

Screw it to the ceiling as it only @ 3/16 thick or not sure how heavy but they have the same thing coated white for the bath surround u can use it is more expensive I am thinking 20 not sure--but u use the white nails w them--predrill it or use the rosets w screws like in many MH
Mleissa