damage due to fallen tree

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cunnyngham

I have 1971 trailer that a tree fell onto the very end during a hurricane. The damage is confined to the wall and ceiling where the kitchen is. I need to replace the endwall, a portion of the back door wall and the ceiling area about two feet in from the back wall. have no idea where to begin. So far no leaks in the roof and no damage from water. have very little money and will have to build myself. can you help? Thanks a mil
Greg

I'm going to move this to the repair section.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

hmmmm I am going to move this post to the repair forum also, as it is still here and not there. :)
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

I really don't have a specific enough question there to offer a direct answer. You just have to get in there and see what needs to be done. Studs can be replaced, the top plate of the framing can be sistered/repaired. Siding can be replaced with 4x8 SmartSide siding, even if what you had was metal. This would be the cheapest way to go. The metal may be able to be straightened out, I dunno. But all wood framing needs to be repaired. I am not sure what, if anything needs to be done to the roof. Again, have to look at it. The ceiling can be a problem, since it is hard to get ceiling panels. Maybe your local mobile home parts store will carry them, mine don't anymore. But those Okaply panels come out to $60 each for ungrooved panels and almost $100 with the grooves and plastic spline parts. You can patch in a piece of sheetrock and work in a texture to it. If you aren't picky about OEM style parts, the materials shouldn't cost a lot. If you want it to look like the damage never happened, that can get pricey.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.