Roof Turbines

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tmcbrear

I moved into an early 70's mobile about 6 months ago. Now that winter is over I think it's about time to do something about the noisy roof turbines that are there. They were mostly stationary this winter except when a it was very breezy and then they would spin but make a lot of noise. They are the type that have a support cage on the outside.

I would like to replace them but would really like to do so with something that is more static and doesn't need to be serviced. I have seen a product called Aura Vents that can just replace the existing turbine and just attach to the existing base.

The home is 1440 square feet and is in California where the temperature can get to 100 degrees for sometime in the summer.

The question is should I just go with the Aura Vents or just replace the turbines? (there are 2)
kidfam

Forget the turbines, put in a ridge vent as it is more efficient
JD
Site Admin

Vented ridge cap with the associated eave vents is probably the most efficient way to vent a roof, but flat and curved roof single-wides can't use them and shingle roofs should have them installed at the time of a re-roof. Changing the turbine to a static vent will allow heat build up and moisture to escape, but is not as efficient as the turbine because it is not pulling or pushing air. Still, I think in most cases they would be sufficient or at least beneficial in removing trapped moisture, especially if they are mounted near the peak or middle of the roof. Adding additional static vents to a rolled metal roof is simple and easy.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.