Ditra - anybody ever use in Mobile Home?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Seasider48

Has anybody on the list ever used Ditra in their bathroom or kitchen? It's a product to help prevent tiles from cracking. It's a sheet/separation barrier that looks like a waffle. I've seen it used a bunch on "Holmes on Homes" - one of the TV DIY shows. I'd like to use some tile on the bathroom walls if possible - something on the small size - no larger than 4" square pieces. The floors will most likely be sheet vinyl.

Actually, would a double subfloor - two pieces of 3/4" plywood make things stiff enough for a tile floor? This is Flori-duh, so I don't have to worry about very much cold weather. The bathrooms are pretty small so I don't need to spend much on materials. Besides I am pretty good at scrounging and finding bargains from Craigslist, Habitat Restore, Freecycle, etc.

It's also used as a vapor/water barrier.

I'm figuring on gutting the current bathroom and replacing the existing fixtures. Also putting in garden tub, toilet, sink with appropriate green-board and waterproof barriers.
Jim from Canada

I have never used it personally, but it seems you watch the same shows I do. I think you have a good plan. The Schluter system (ditra) is the same I plan to use when I eventually get around to re renoing my bathroom. I also plan on using their Kerdi shower system when I get there.
Greg S

I have not used it in a mobile but have used it in the entrance to a stick build home.
The benefits of using it on bath walls may not be that great, not sure. I am starting the tiling of my bath area this next week and considered but decided not to use it myself. It makes it more difficult to finish the exposed tile edges at the outside of the tub.

If you do decide to go the distance I highly recommend the use of cement board on the walls then ditra then tile. This is in the event this is intended as a long term stay otherwise I would put the tile directly on green board and call it a day.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

Use of tiles in a mobile is not advised unless you are on a full foundation. Remember that mobiles WILL shift slightly during cold weather, Tiles do not.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DaveyB

As Greg mentioned, the shifting and settling of the home could cause a lot of problems for a tiled surface. The rigidity of the tiled wall would not allow it to settle with the rest of the home, and even ¼" of movement could start tearing the wall away from the floor or from another wall.

One solution would be to build out the furniture. Take the bathroom sink, for example. Pull out the entire unit and put a sheet of treated wood against the wall behind it. This sheet is not fastened to the real wall in any way, Put the furniture back and remake the plumbing connections through a suitably large hole in the backboard. You can now install the mirror on this board and tile in a full backsplash, using tiled edging to mask the sides of the board.

In this way, when (not if) the home settles, the board will simply slide over the wall behind it while presenting the rigid panel of tile. Perhaps painting the wall black before installing the board, then repainting white or the desired color after the board is installed will help determine when settling has taken place - the black line appearing around the edge of the board indicates that the home has settled somewhat!

Just a suggestion :)
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝