RE-Shingle or complete tear off?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Wookie

Hello all I did a search and did not find the exact anser I was looking for. I have a 1998 fleetwood double wide and the roof needs replaced. I got a quote for 2200 to shingle over what I have or 3500 to tear off redo the underlayment and all the other jazz.
My question is can you shingle over top of the old without much problems?? I have only one layer up there now and they told me you can do 2 and be fine before you must tear off and start from scratch.
I just put my house up for sale a week ago (thats why the roof went to crap I know it 8) ) and I want to do a good job and not half it but is a complete tear off really the way to go or can I get by well with just reshingle over top of the old????

THANKS..........................
Greg

My thought would be to put your self in the buyer's shoes.

As a seller Legally you may be fine just putting a second layer on, but as a BUYER what would you want.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

A 98 Fleetwood probably could handle a second layer of shingles, but as best as I can remember, HUD code only allows one layer on mobile and manufactured homes.

installing a second layer of shingles will shorten the life of the shingles as well. The original roof makes a very soft substrate/deck making optimum control of a pneumatic nailer impossible. Some nails will blow through or indent the shingles. The asphalt shingles will also hold a lot of heat, which will age the shingles from the underside.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
joedirt63

well the way i see it ,are you doing it for cosmetic reasons or a problem remidy, if there's a prob i would like to see how bad the prob is . the sheathing may be damaged or rotted. and should be replaced.removeing the old is the only way you can see. like greg said ,a buyer may ask why a roof over? you hideing some thing? i got stuck when i got my m/h seller didn't say much about it. and the cosmedic repairs where good enough for me a the time, until i had a idea to remodel(paint) started with the wall and went to a full redo. the more i dug the more goof ups i found.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Wookie

Thank you all I was kinda thinking the complete redo would be the better option bolth for me and a new buyer. I was also thinking I have no idea what kind of underlayment and ice shield is on there now. If I had to guess its probably not the best as they try to keep the cost down when they make the homes in the factory.
Thanks agen and now I am off to find the rest of the money for the roof :D