drop in electric cooktop replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tmcbrear

I have a electric ceramic cooktop in an older home I bought. It is just really shot, we can't get it to even boil water. I'd like to just replace it with a nice newer standard electric coil cooktop. It apears that the top is hard-wired to a junction box under the top and the top is held on by several clamps under the lip on the bottom.

My guess is to just turn the breaker off, take the connections loose, release the clamps and just remove the drop-in top.

Any other secrets to this?

TJ
stevieb

Not sure about that but don't make the same mistake I did. Be sure your breaker can handle the new cooktop. I bought a 40 amp top and only have a 30 amp breaker. I cannot return the cooktop and the electrician wants $500 to run a new line and breaker. I am going to have to be satisfied with just replacing the entire coil elements that plug in.
tmcbrear

Thanks for the info, I did check it out and the box is marked with 2-30amp breakers for the cooktop. I assume that that means 60 total!?
DaveyB

If it is marked for 2 x 30amp breakers, then it will require 2 available 30amp breakers at the main box and, if you don't already have it, cabling for the same.

Just deleted the rest of my reply, sorry. I'd forgotten about the site policy on this one!

DaveyB
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
tmcbrear

Here is what I need to know-

The breaker box has 2-30amp breakers that are connected together and this ran to the old cooktop. The old cooktop was a corning ceramic top that is just shot. I want to replace it with a similiar electric glass cooktop.

Can I just get a 40amp electric which is more common to find or will I need to search for a 30amp electric cooktop?