Window Change ?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bunky

I'm looking at taking my current 3 front windows out of my MH and putting in one window that is approx 2" shorten in length and 2-3 " shorter in Height, My question is my Home is sided with Vinyl over the original aluminum siding with 1/2" foam between the two So what do I use to fill the open space where there's no aluminum Siding from the old windows ???
JD
Site Admin

Are these three separate windows with a piece of wall between each? If so, you would need to reframe the wall for a single window. You would need a solid and larger header to support the longer span. You don't want to end up with a swayback wall.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Bunky

Well I got to doing some checking and the window framing is needing rebuilt, but I'm not sure how to construct this strong enough for the new window ??

Anyone have any Suggestions ??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Your best bet may be to reframe the wall with either 2x4 or 2x6. It's a small wall so it should be a quick & easy job. that way you should have enough support to put about any type of window you want in with the proper headers.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Yes, that is such a small area I would remove everything and reframe properly. I would also buy new siding for just that area so that it will fit your smaller window. It would only take 6-7 siding panels and that way the colors would match on that side. You mentioned you wanted to install a window that was a couple of inches smaller, so I am thinking you already have that window. If not, you could order a window that would fit your existing siding. The framing will still need to be redone. If you do order a new window, they make one specifically for installing with vinyl siding that really helps to seal the window.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.