sun room addition

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mlgal

Has anyone added a sunroom to their mobile home? We would love to have one and just wondered if such an addition might be problematic.
Greg

As a rule additions are not recommended. Unless you are on a full below the frost line foundation for both the home and addition you can be setting your self up for problems.

If you live an an area that freezes, the ground will heave when it freezes & thaws. This heave will twist and move a home slightly, when that happens any area that connects the two (walls, roofs & floors) can open slightly allowing leaks.

I am not saying it can't be done, but with out proper support I would not do it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I would like to add that some parts of the country do not have freeze ground heave problems and do not require concrete footers. Whether you use footers or not, a deck, sun room or room addition should not be structurally connected to the mobile home. It is OK to use flashings and trim to seal the joints water tight.

The sunrooms I have built have been basically closed-in decks. A "day use", non-living space room will have less code requirements than a true room addition, like a den living room or bedroom. There are also wall kits you can order for a modular kit room, but I am not real crazy about the designs. The bottom wall channel tends to rot the wall panels.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mlgal

Thank you. This information helps.
Lorne

Also consider the weather. If you are in Hurricane areas you will want a stronger, more substantial structure. A light weight aluminum structure might not remain after a storm,but end up across the street.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.