Mobile Home needs total overhaul...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

raginstormcloud

From floors to walls to ceiling....asking $1500 to buy...is it worth repairing, and how much will it cost and how long will it take? The outside is new and looks nice...but the inside is wow...dunno how these people lived in the place. Holes in the floor (alot of them it all has to go every room) walls need redone, big hole in ceiling in master bath. Can anyone give me a guesstimate as a do it yourself with some help on time and price? It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath double wide). Where would I even start? Thanks!
Greg

Hi & welcome. Lots of questions, lots of answers.

First, Here in CNY $1500 is a little steep for a total reno. home. For single wides There are $1 specials, I would not go over $500 here unless there are new utilities that can be reused. Double wides may be worth $1500 as long as the exterior, doors & windows are in good shape.

Worth repairing, Costs & time frame that all depends on you. Your taste, how you want the inside finished and how much time you can dedicate to the job.

I CAN tell you when I did our daughter's around 8 years ago I spent the better part of 6 months, nights & weekends and around $3000.

Spend some time and do a detailed estimate as possible, don't forget the little things, like plumbing & electrical parts, they add up fast. Now is the time to make any changes to the lay out as well.

The important thing to remember is to TAKE YOUR TIME & DO IT RIGHT.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
raginstormcloud

ok we went out to see it last night...i'm going to go back out today an take some pictures and post...im just nervous. If its worth it, I dont mind the investment to own my own home...but I am disabled, on a limited budget, and have 5 kids and one grandchild due in May. Sure wish you were here to help, lol, since you are the expert!!! Thanks again...an will post pics soon.
Greg

Thanks, but You have confused with JD & Mark, they do this for a living, It's just a hobby for me.

Lots of people here to help get you through if you need it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
kailor

Some things to think about...

Does it have particle board flooring?
It could potentially be a dangerous environment with small children.
Do you work a regular job?
Will your help, help you whenever you need them?
Are the floor joist 16" oc or 24" oc?
Does a heat pump or AC condenser come with the home?
Do you have to have the home moved?

I think it could be redone very nicely for about $15K-$18K, but then again I have no way of knowing. It just depends on what has to be done and if you know how to do it.
Thanks!
Two 14x66's