Problems after leveling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

laurann

I had my single wide 70' MH leveled recently by a contractor that used a transit instead of a water level. After he leveled the home the side door which was recently purchased as an upgrade with a storm door would not close. They jacked up the area under the door and then I got a big bulge in the floor (it turns out the particle board was soft). They worked on this door for a full day without a lot of luck, but finally got it to close. Now the ground is thawing (the MH is not on frost footings) and the door again will not close, in addition the bottom is broken because of repeated contact with the threshold which has ripped apart and it's coming off the hinges. I'm very concerned about this, is this due to improper leveling, horizontal or otherwise? or something else? What is the best thing I can do? I told them in the beginning they needed to use a water level but they didn't want to, because he wasn't familiar with the technique, even though I printed out Mark's instructions for him. This was the only contractor that would even work on this home, and we don't have good mobile home repair people out here, so I didn't have a lot of options. Now they're coming back to try to repair it once again, but I'm afraid it's not going to work long term. Is there anything I can tell them?
Greg

I don't want to bash anyone, but I would think that if he could use a transit (correctly?) he could figure out how to use a water level. A water level uses the latest technology passed down from the Egyptians when they were building the pyramids. You simply use a column of water through a hose, the level at both ends will be the same "LEVEL" weather they are 3" or 3 miles apart.

I would be interested to see how he is able to do all points on both sides of the home from 1 point with a transit. Even shooting under the home you have piers & pipes blocking the view.

If possible I would try to get it so the doors will close and do a proper relevel after the ground has thawed. You may be able to adjust the striker plate to get the doors to close for now.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Wouldn't think that any company would do a re level with the ground frozen....

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!