Flange over tile or hardi-backer?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

redneeckgirl

Doing a bath remodel, took out the toilet and sink cabinet but left the tub in place. Replaced a 2'x3' section of bad subfloor around toilet then laid hardi-backer over the rest of floor 5'x5'4". My toilet flange has alot of play, and could lift about 1 1/2" above the subfloor so I thought I would be able to rest it on the tile. After getting tiles laid under the flange, I was not able to drill holes in the tile to secure the flange to the floor. The flange is 3/8" and the tile is 1/4". I was using my masonary bit in a craftsman 19.2 v cordless, but it only barely bit into this tile. I tried dry and wet drilling.

I'm thinking of a few new ways to try, but not sure which would be the best or if there is a better way that I have not thought of....

1. Cut the tile to fit around the outside of flange so the flange itself sits on the hardi-backer and the toilet sits on tile.

2. Cut the tile to fit around the outside of flange, but put 'scrap' pieces under flange so as to not have tile under the flange's screw holes.

3. Set the flange and toilet on the hardi-backer, tile around the toilet. (This one I'm guessing is a big no-no due to trouble a leak would cause but thought I'd ask anyway lol)

4. Tile fully under flange and buy a diamond tip bit to drill holes in tile. (I shy away from this since I have a hard time spending $15+ on a bit that I'll only use for this application)

I've noted from other posts that I should only caulk the front and sides of toilet once it's down, so any leak will not be hidden. I'm putting a pic in of the area as well, with the items I'm using in case that makes a difference. The one tile is missing because after not being able to drill it, I tried using one of my general purpose bits kinda like a chisel in a very sad attempt to get that hole started and of course cracked the tile hehe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1997 Shultz 16X80, shingle roof, vinyl siding. NE Indiana.
Working on a 'face-lift' remodel so we can sell and move to Florida.
JD
Site Admin

#1 would be the right choice. Cut/nipper the tile about 1/4" from the flange, screw the flange to the subfloor/backer board and fill the gap with quality caulk. Usually the Extra Large Wax Ring will make up for the difference in height. You can also use the wax ring you have there and add a wax only ring to the top of it.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
redneeckgirl

Great! Thanks, off to start back work in there. I should have this job done probably Monday, I'll post finished pics :)
redneeckgirl

Running late on my own deadline due to one of the kids getting hurt and a coupla of those inevitable last minute hardware store runs for something that just didn't work out right lol.

I still have to finish the moulding and baseboards, replace the old zurn quest fittings (going with shark-bites and braided supply lines), a few more things to silicone and caulk, then I need to readjust the cross-brace for the tub faucet. Tried doing that one solo and ended up with a 1/16" gap on the top side of the faucet, so with the shower on it trickles behind the tub wall (eeeek!). Also need to get a longer drain pipe for the sink, the other is coming up 1/4" short from fitting into the trap. Then a with a new door and handle I think I'll have one room down :)

To cap off everything that's done (probably missed a few lol):
Replaced tub/shower faucet, toilet assembly and lid, curtain rod, towel bars, sink and cabinet, sink faucet, mirror trim, medicine cabinet, outlet plates, section of subfloor and tile installed, paint and 'tile' wall panel, ceiling flush light and vanity strip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhonda

Looks great!
crackur

looks good. I'm looking to get back to working on my home when the weather gets warmer and the baby is a bit bigger lol in a cple months I can't wait!