Waste Lines rework

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

johnmcglone

New to the forum and thankful that you all are here as a resource. I bought a used mobile home, 1997 Oakwood Freedom that seems to be in pretty good shape. I also bought Mark's Mobile Home repair book which I find is invaluable in dealing with my new property. Here is my situation, all the waste lines were removed by sawing off at various locations. The new septic tank line is in a different relative location. This makes the original waste line configuration almost useless. It seems to me that all the waste lines I will actually be able to use are the long runs from other end of the MH. The septic line comes up inside where the skirting will be located.

1. How often and where should I put cleanouts?
2. How do I tell where the vents are?
3. I understand that 1/4" per foot of gravity fall is enough for waste lines.
4. Are there any good online videos or resources for this issue?
5. Any good threads on this issue already in place on this forum?

Thanks so much.

God bless you.
John
Greg

John, Hi & welcome.
You can't have too many clean outs, but you really only need 1 above ground. Clean out Location will depend on your trap location(s) some have traps just below the ground, some have above ground traps, some have both.

You should have roof vents near the toilets, most have under counter check valve vents near the sinks. If you own the land, you may want a vent at the tank as well.

1/4"/foot should work fine. I can't think of many threads, but you can try searching. you can google and see what is out there on the subject also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
johnmcglone

Greg, thanks so much. I appreciate all of that, I happened to get the Lowe's expert on duty when I went to buy the parts I believed I needed. He really helped out, what an answer to prayer. I do have roof vents just entering the line below the toilet flanges. I just had the septic tank and field lines installed but I have no vent on that system. I will get to assembling the puzzle tomorrow. Thanks again.

John
HouseMedic

I re-did all of my waste line in my place and one good spot for a clean out is right were the 3" or 4" line comes out of the bottom of the house and turns. Usually they use a sweeping "y" and on the one side you put the screw in cover. 1/4" slope is fine. Here is one of my clean outs were the pipe turns. The clean out is on the far right hand side in this picture to the right of the strap.

Ron
Pict 007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnmcglone

Looks like quality work Ron. I learned a lot today and look forward to getting it put together tomorrow.

Thanks!
Harry

Housemedic

I noticed your concrete block piers are stacked using cement. Nice job. Rarely seen down here.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
johnmcglone

Update, we are 85% finished on installing the complete waste drain system on our new 'used' mobile home. I am looking to get the system tested early tomorrow. Maybe I can include some pics if I figure out how. I also went ahead and completely replaced one of the toilet flanges and downtubes as it was totally trashed/cracked. Now on to replacing some ceiling and laying new vinyl in the kitchen and bathrooms. :arrow:
HouseMedic

johnmcglone wrote:Maybe I can include some pics if I figure out how.
When you hit the reply button just look below for the UPLOAD ATTACHMENT tab and you then upload your picture.
Harry wrote:I noticed your concrete block piers are stacked using cement. Nice job. Rarely seen down here.
Harry,
My place is basically an older pre-fab house made in two parts. About 50% of it is mobile home parts and the other 50% is like a stick built home. It sits on a full block crawlspace.

Ron
Mobile68

Hi Ron.

I recently purchased a 70's mobile that has a full length 10 year old stick addition all across the front. The whole thing was then covered with a typical shingled roof. I dry walled the MH half (vertical only), and installed a whole new bathroom and kitchen.

I also installed a second bathroom on the opposite end of the MH, and had to run a 70 foot drain. With that long of a run, I barely made the recommended 3/4 inch drop/foot.
HouseMedic

Mobile68 wrote:Hi Ron.

I recently purchased a 70's mobile that has a full length 10 year old stick addition all across the front. The whole thing was then covered with a typical shingled roof. I dry walled the MH half (vertical only), and installed a whole new bathroom and kitchen.

I also installed a second bathroom on the opposite end of the MH, and had to run a 70 foot drain. With that long of a run, I barely made the recommended 3/4 inch drop/foot.
I did not mean that half of the house was a mobile home and half was a stick built. The whole thing is of 2x4 construction walls on a 2x8 floor joist and trusses and plywood roof. It's just that a lot of other parts are of the mobile home type. Like the 7 ft. ceiling with the same material as a mobile even with the rosets. Both exterior doors. windows, bathrooms (was I rebuilt) kitchen cabinets, panelling on walls (no drywall) ect...