Bathtub replacement odd size

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

laurann

I'm in a quandry over what to do with a bathtub replacement for a tub that is 54" x 33". I cannot find this size anywhere. If I go to a standard size 27" x 54" will that work just as well? Can I go to a regular store like Menards or Home Depot and buy a standard tub or do I have to buy a mobile home tub? I know MH tubs typically don't have overflow valves, but can't that just be plumbed in if you buy a regular tub? What is the difference between a standard tub and a mobile home tub? Could I order a special size from a store like Menards to fit my existing tub?

Also the previous tub had no surround, is that necessary? Do I have to buy the surround with the tub or can I get one of the adjustable sets.

Thank you for your help, this is very confusing to me.
Greg

You have a few options. Many home centers do stock 27 x 54 tubs. You may be able to order a 33x54 tub. Do so measuring and see if you can put a standard 60" tub in with out a lot of work, you may get lucky. There are differences in tub materials, I would go for fiberglass or acrylic, Many small stock tubs are steel. It is strong but cold.

I would go with a surround kit, any kit will do as long as it fits the tub size. look closely at the quality, you can usually tell a lot by the shelves. Some are very flimsy.

If you have a second bathroom with a tub you could install a shower unit. I am changing mine over next week to a 48x 34 shower unit.

The best advise I can give is to do some shopping and ask questions. Be sure to check reviews on the internet, If you have 1 person that says it's garbage and 10 that say it's great, well do the math.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

And yes. you can plumb in an overflow. I found a 54" steel tub at a local store.
Jim from Canada

We have a 54" tub in one of our bathrooms too. Plans are to change it, eventually. I want to put in a standard 60" tub, so........going to move the wall 6". Overflows are pretty easy to plumb in. I agree with getting the whole kit with the surround. There are lots of options, just do not get one that is all 1 piece, you have to remove the outside wall to get it in the bathroom.