What the heck IS this? (odd plumbing shutoff valve?)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mdnagel

I'm needing to remove a dishwasher, and this thing is staring me in the face! I twisted it (cause that's how most valves seem to work), but, out of fear* of breaking something, didn't attempt to PULL it.

* OK, I'm always afraid of breaking things, but I'm not residing in the home (yet), and I'm currently not positioned to do plumbing repairs.

Is this a Pull/Push valve of some sorts?

This MH stuff is a whole 'nother world to me!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhonda

That is EXACTLY what it is.
mdnagel

I pull it up to shut it off, or do I push it down?

The dishwasher wasn't in use, so I don't know what it's on/off state is. I suppose that I could have gotten a clue from the ones in the bathrooms (easier to check water from faucets/toilets rather than trying to run the dishwasher [which I don't know if it works properly or not]).

Will give it more of the "college try" tonight :-)
JD
Site Admin

I haven't seen a valve like that before. It looks like some sort of valve/supply line combo push fitting. Some push fittings will have a metal or plastic ring that sticks out an 1/8" from the fitting. Depressing that will pull the thing loose. They sell a small plastic tool for this but pliers will work. I guess some push fittings might need a removal tool to release the fitting. If that is a one piece valve/supply line, replacing it would mean pulling the dishwasher to install a new supply line. But that is what I would do. Replace all of that with pex. JMO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mdnagel

Well, I braved potential disaster and yanked the top up, and lo and behold it popped up and the water is off! Pretty tough pull, but yeah, that did it! :D