plumbing in wall to tubs

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rahsill

i will be attemping to replace all my plumbing under trailer and thru floor to all faucets. toilets, with pex piping..however i don't want to tear out walls to access two tubs...question is can i attach pex fitings to a plastic fitting below floor line so i on't ave to tear out walls?, would this would be ok? i see fitings in store where i can glue in a fitting and screw in a pex fitting and then attach pex tubing..this would be done only on two bathtubs and shower.. any advise would be appreaciated
Northern Star

Not clear exactly what material you are replacing? CPVC? Older polyethylene tubing?

The PEX Quick Connect fittings will also work with other materials, like CPVC or copper. I'm not sure if it works with other types of plastic tubing. I have had several in place for about 4 years without any trouble, including one that transitions from copper to PEX.

>>>>>>> however i don't want to tear out walls to access two tubs

Might not be a bad idea to cut an opening and replace it with an access panel.
rahsill

current pipes are cvpc and keep having failures here and there...last too were in vertical pipes to kitchen and laundry room..
Northern Star

If it were me, given the fact that this stuff is failing elsewhere, I would put in an acess panel like this: http://tinyurl.com/4bbqzll

But if you don't, I know that the quick connect fittings are sized to fit CPVC as well.
rahsill

i will look into the access panels..they would work ok for on bathroo as it would b in a closet, the other tub and shower qould be in exposed walls in master bedroom. i guess that wouldn't be to bad as furniture would most likely hide it..
by the way he last two pipes were cracking and had to cut them out and replace.. there was no water in these pipes as they had been blown out for winteization..this is a weekender home
Greg

Hi & welcome. Given that you are having failures I would change as much as possible. Access panels are an option, or you MAY get lucky and be able to CAREFULLY remove the whole panel with out damaging it.

Now would also be a great time to add shutoff valves!! Lots of them 1 for every faucet if possible and an inside main shutoff,and 1(if not 2) for the hot water tank.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Yeah, an access panel will be needed. That is the only way to get to the faucet to change out the supply lines and shower head. If you replace the line going to the shower head, replace the 1/2" fip elbow with a PEx dog eared fitting. But you will need full access for this as well.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
kailor

I too, have had MANY failures with CPVC. No more! I'm remodeling a MH right now and I'll do a complete re-plumb with PEX using brass fittings and stainless steel cinch rings. Greg is correct in that you need to create access panels for your plumbing "wet walls" if there are none. Personally, I would not use plastic fittings but only brass, depending on your climate. Although, I will confess that our trailer at the lake has ploy pipe and plastic "flair-it" brand fittings. When I'm there I fish as much as possible and work as little as possible. Good luck.
Thanks!
Two 14x66's