wood stove installation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lefties

installed this prompted by jimincanadas post and pics b4,,saving so much this year,,its -10f- now and toasty in here....
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Yanita

Hey Lefties!

Ok' help a women out here and tell me what I am looking at. I have that square box thing mounted to my ceiling right above the hearth...but nothing below that. I really want a wood stove but Foremost insurance says...NO WAY!
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lefties

Hi Yanita,,amrican modern charges 50 bucks a yr extra for it. The square box thingy is just to give it the required 2 inches of clearance from a combustable,,the stainless is 2100 degree doublewalled chimney bought on sale at end of season 2 yrs ago cheap. Had to get roof replaced this yr so it was the perfect time to do this. You just run ur pipe to the box thats supporting ur chimney,,im not a good person to explain it,,maybe jim from canada can. My interior stovepipe is also doublewalled to prevent the heat transfer. The stove and pipe is minimum 36 inches from a combustable to the chimney.....and heres the heat
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Greg

Yanita, consider a MH approved Pellet stove. If it's MH approved tell Foremost to pound salt, you may need it for the roads down there!! :) :lol:

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

LOL,

Foremost reps don't know what they are talking about, most of the time I get some "women" that does not know the difference in wood stove or pellet stove. They said I can not have it for primary heat and anything I do get has to be "outside". I have sent pics, websites etc...they will cancel my policy....so I continue to pay for gas heat. It's not bad but this winter has been real cold!

Yanita
Jim from Canada

well then, thell them it is not "primary" heat. It is back up for power outages. I would shop around for insurance. A wood stove, properly installed, with a permit, and approved, is no more dangerous than any other heat source. My insurance co never even came out to look at it, they just wanted to know it had a permit for the install. The piece that is in the ceiling is just what lefty said. The chimney has a piece attached to it the comes through it that attaches to the stove pipe inside.
Yanita

Hi Jim from Canada!

Been a long time, glad to see you are still here! I have been doing some research on wood stoves, came across alot of everything I know very little about. I did come across this square box thingy that goes in the pipe, called a heat exchanger/saver I don't know. But I certainly know that if NC is gonna get this cold then I need something different than gas! It has not been as bad as most but certainly more than budget allowed for.

Hope all is well with you. Look forward to hearing from you again. Ohhh, the insurance company, I figure when we get ready to do this I will do it all proper, with the exception of calling the insurance company! Yup,, I know the ramifications....I also know what the yearly premium has gone up to!

Yanita
Greg

If you are talking about the type of heat exchanger (I think they were called magic heat) that goes in the chimney pipe. They have a fan that recovers some of the heat that goes up the chimney.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."