replacement of MH kitchen water line...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Brenda (OH)

Hi Sue,

pex... I love the stuff..... I learned to do mh plumbing myself by using pex... the tricky part is always if/when you are trying to save an old section of plumbing in something else, and have to transition to the newer material... it usually only takes a couple dollars worth of the pex pipe to run back further towards the incoming plumbing, and cut out the older material and not have to transition it... (example: go all the way back to the water heater, put on a new threaded adapter that goes into the pex to be crimped on the other, vs trying put the threaded connector onto the old galvanized supply pipe) advantage... no point to leak in the middle of the run of pipe supplying the sink...

anyways, I learned to do crimp fitting on pex with only two tries.... and I never have learned how to soder (see I can't even spell it!) copper fittings.

there is no advantage to keeping copper pipe... it leaks after freezing and thawing 9 times out of 10, thief steal it, you have to use a torch to install it, it is expensive material, you have to get your measurements pretty much perfect... have I convinced you yet to choose the pex? lol

Sue, metally tighten the belt, plan on a new faucet, shut off values, putting in both a new hot and a new cold water pipe to the kitchen sink.. longer term, the problem may be sediment laying in the hot water tank breaking loose..... if it very hard water supply, a new hot water heater is probably in your future, you may as well begin putting funds aside for it now....

Brenda (OH)