SNAKES!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark440

Last year, the field mice took over. Believe me, their reproduction makes rabbits seem like amateurs! And getting rid of them was akin to making sure the last kernel of corn is popped when you can't see inside the bag!

Meanwhile - out in the duck enclosure,the eggs were disappearing by the dozen. Finally, I found the culprits - two huge, 6 foot copper heads. One of them lost its head - while the other slivered away during the battle and confusion.

Now, a couple months later, no mice. Not one. Which would be ok except I really, really need to crawl under this place to re-direct the dryer venting to the outside. But I am trembling in my boots when I think about the possibility of encountering that huge serpent - and possibly millions of offspring - under there and in the darkness. Heck, it must 10 or 20 ft long by now! And probably spits venom and fire!

Has any one got some of those "old folk" remedies to get rid of snakes under the house?? I heard 'moth balls' ...but I would have the tendency to put way too many - and then the place would stink for months. I know it is just "fear" pushing me - but I tell you - that snake was HUGE! And - it is a SNAKE!
Opportunity has a shelf life.
joedirt63

hey, could get a pet mongoose, heh heh , sorry just kidding, i think you should get a professional to get rid of it ,them close that bottom as tight as you can, we have snakes in here in Pa. too, copper head and rattlers and down here by the river water moccasins, don't be foolin aroun with them.put a hurtin on you,but good. could put a screen right behind the dryer befor it goes out side if you can get to it,then you don't have to go under,plus it may be easier to clean, it should be vent out side instead of under the house anyway.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Change to STEEL skirting!! If some critter gets through it, I really don't want to know what it is.

See "a better skirting idea" In the articles section. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rookie35

If you must go under there maybe you should open a few panels around the whole perimeter and have a very bright flashlight. Take your time and make alot of noise, a snake should be afraid of you and if there is an easy way out then it should run away from you. If your ventline is tucked up into the belly well, that is a different story. I would not stick my hand up in a little hole without using a periscope to see what is in there first and even then that would be scary.
Brenda (OH)

I, hum, hate to mention this... but we have the advantage of non venomous snakes.... so the guy at the mobile home park that unwound the 8 foot black rat snake from around the water heater to get it out of the house wasn't taking much of a risk.... it came back though, so they named him "George" and declared a truce....

copperheads... those are the ones that are supposed to smell like cucumbers, right?

all kidding aside, I would not mess with the chance of copperheads or rattlesnakes... at least you can tell the exterminator what he might use as bait..... fine quality, fresh chicken eggs...

Brenda (OH)
Brenda (OH)

opps....fine fresh DUCK eggs.... darn gourmet snakes...probably would not touch a store bought chicken egg....lol
Lorne

Around here they advertise "Snake Chasers". Find the money to pay for an expert.
"I hate spiders and snakes and baby thats's what it takes"...............song.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
boatwreck

I am terrified of snakes. That's wrong, let me rephrase. I AM TERRIFIED OF SNAKES!! Unfortunately I am a magnet for them and wild turkeys too. Left "civilization" 12 mths ago to build home in the country. Since then I have had 21 snake encounters, not sightings but actual heart stopping, sheer terror encounters. Haven't found a way to kill them from inside the house & my guys refuse to, seems their existence is the sign of a healthly eco-system. My will is being revised - If I die by snake induced heart attack or bite, it all goes to charity & they get NOTHING.

I agree with rookie35 about removing a few panels around the whole perimeter but that doesn't mean they will leave. You need forced eviction. Equip yourself with a box of black cat fireworks & a shotgun. My guess is anything living will feel the need to relocate & you can be selective about those needing extermination! Happy hunting.

Twice a day, wild turkeys come to eat acorns in my front yard. Yesterday 37 showed up at one time. Hoping the poop ensures beautiful green grass come spring.
Greg

OK, it get COLD here and we measure snow by the foot. BUT, snakes are somewhat rare. I'll take the cold & snow! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

We have a lot of snakes in the surrounding foothill areas where I work often. I just get plenty of light down there by using a couple of those yellow 500 watt work lights and I make plenty of noise. I think a snake will always avoid you rather than confront you, if possible. I will see live snakes once in a while and a lot of flat ones on the road, but never found one under a mobile home, which really amazes me. We are also inundated with black widows here. I see them and zillions of egg sacks under the home every time. In 24 years of crawling under these homes, I have yet to get bit by one. Other spider bites, yes. A few. But no widows yet. knock knock knock.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
flcruising

Moth balls do work. You can also throw a couple of insect smoke bombs under there a day or two before you need to enter.

Otherwise, keep the jumper cables handy!
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
ehomet

I thought this was about mobile deals and things to do with mobiles and I get some post about mice and rabbits and mongoose. I am really trying to find out what the relevance or the relationship between these two are!!! Anyway I hope you get rid of all the animal trouble you seem to be having.
Yanita

Hi,

Ehomet,
I guess the relevance is the OP wanted advice about going under his home with the possibility of a venomous snake present. We try to help all members regardless of what the post is, providing they are genuinely asking for help. I will have this post moved to Off Topic as it is not about Repairs.

Mark440,
I agree with Greg and JD. I also live in an area with several venomous snakes. Typically they want to go the other way! Although surprising one can be harmful to you. Should you go ahead with a spray bomb of any sort if you have an gas pilot lights make sure they are out before doing the bomb! Good luck and keep us posted!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!