Door bolt too long?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

reprosser

Did not find this in my search, so here goes.

I recently replaced the door on my trailer with a new one. Everything fit nicely and it seals when shut.

My problem is that the part of the door knob assembly that extends into the door jamb (bolt?), sticks out of the door so much that the curved part that is supposed to contact the strike plate and slide the bolt into the door so it shuts - is not aligned properly. It is not high or low, but sticks out so far that the flat part of the bolt hits the jamb plate and the door just bounces back open. I have to twist the knob to retract the bolt a little bit before the bolt will slide across the jamb plate and into the hole to latch the door. I hope this makes sense...

What I need is some way to adjust the bolt so that is does not stick out quit as far, so it will contact the strike plate on the bolt's curved surface and push the bolt into the door a bit to slide into the strike plate hole.

Most strike plates in "stick built" homes have a curved surface to help guide the bolt, but this door is squared off and does not extend beyond the frame.

The frame around the door is square and the reveal is even, so I don't want to try and wedge the frame further away from the door.
Maybe I can loosen the door knob screws and pull the assembly more toward the center of the door? I only need 1/8" or so to get to the curved area of the bolt.
I could also remove the strike plate, but then there would be a lot of slop for the bolt to catch in the frame and I would loose my weather tight seal. See attached dwg to clarify I hope. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

I can think of two possible problems. First some locksets have a setback adjustment. this is an adjustment for the measurement between the edge of the door & the center of the knob. If you have the shorter set up on the door & the longer one on the lock that could cause a problem. the other is that the strike plate should have a curved edge to meet the bolt. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

ok, this may be off based,

are you talking about a regular door lock, not a deadbolt? and if so, the part that is in the door pushes into the hole in the door frame may be put in the wrong way...

the part that is in the door and goes over into the hole in the frame nedd to have the curve facing the direction the door moves in as it approached the frame. that means the curve is leading as it is moved towards the hole in the frame. it is possible to put that part into the door "upside down" on some locks I have seen.

do you still have the old lock set? can you reassemble it and hold it up next to the door to see what is different from the old installation to the new one?

hey, I started to install a lock with the screws facing the outside of the house instead of the inside. the neighbor was very nice when he pointed it out luckily before i had tightened up all of the screws lol.

Brenda (OH)

the
Brenda (OH)

never mind I figured out your diagram, I did not see that the rest of the drawing showed stuff.

like Greg said, some locks have different settings on them for depth. I would not have been able to get the holes to line up on the type I use if the depth ring was done wrong, but it is some thing to look into ... on some brands you twist the outside ring of the parts, on others, there are little levers you slide... good luck.... I think you will beat it into submission, oops, that is NOT a repair hint lol Brenda