PLEASE HELP!!!! I need to learn how to take down a wall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

INEEDHELP2

Hi everyone,

I have a 1988 fleetwood singlewide 3 bed 2 bath and when I purchased it, it was Horrible, walls had holes messed up paint etc. I have learned how to do most of it because I don't have the money to have someone else do it. I took the baththubs out (they were plastic & broken) so now I have a Fiberglass tub and shower to relpace the two old ones, but I need to take the walls out.... Without tearing up anything. The bathtub has to go thru two interior doors and where the walls will be cut, there aren't any electrical wiring. The shower in the other hand has to only go thru one but where it CAN be cut, there is electrical wiring.

Can someone please tell me how/what I would need (tools) etc

are there any videos that shows to to get too wide bathtubs inside bathroom doors?... Something

also, there is trim on one of the interior doors so what would I need to take it off with without tearing it up.
Greg

Hi & welcome. Your best bet is to take the walls apart rather than just cutting them out . When it comes to electrical you may have problems, if the rest of the room is run through the wall you will need to reroute the wires.

As far as the trim goes, use a putty knife to loosen it and pull the trim through the nails, you do more damage to the trim trying to pull the nails out first. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

i,ve found in removeing the walls walls in my daughter's 87 zimmer none of them where load bearing, i was able to pull the trim strips off with a putty knife like greg suggested and carefully pry the sheet rock off with a flat wide pry tool. sometimes your get lucky and the panels are glued poorly to the studs and it comes off in one panel. my point is once you can get to the studs you can unscrew the studs fastened to the floor and wall and ceiling, remove the wall stud frame as an assembly. sometimes all you have to do is swing the wall away . thats how i did a section of flooring in the wash room.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
INEEDHELP2

Thank you guys,

I'm going to try it and PRAY that it works out.
HouseMedic

If you just have to move the walls to get the tub and shower in the room, Do as Gregg and joedirt say above and take the drywall or paneling off of the wall then cut the nails with a saws-all that hold the studs to the bottom plate (2x) and top plate(2x) and take out the stud. If the stud has wires running through it you can cut the nails and just slide the stud over to one side and let the wire stay where it is, move the tub in then put the stud back. If there is a receptacle or switch box close by you can disconnect the wires if you know what you are doing with electric. Make sure to turn off the power. If not get an electrician to move the wire for you.

Another way is to get a two or three piece tub, that way you just walk it through the doorway.
Lorne

I read of one where they opened the outside wall because they wanted a one piece shower unit installed. If a tube is not the most important to you then get a 4-piece shower unit like I did and save the walls. I'm too big for a tube anyway.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.