Ceiling Fan: Hang From Marraige Line?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ketta

We have an older mobile home (1970 Vardo). The ceiling panels are flimsy, but in great shape, and to properly and securely install a fan from an existing fixture would require cutting a large hole in them, that we likely couldn't repair nicely (thinking resale here).

The only secure area from which to hang things is the marraige line (like hanging plants, etc), but we hesitate to suspend anything permanent there. This home is not likely ever to move from its existing lot (though it is in really good shape, for it's age).

Is installing a ceiling fan (or any other fixture) recommended? We have read the article on installing ceiling fans on this site, with that handy expanding device. However, upon looking up into the area above the ceiling panels in one area in our home where there is a large enough hole, there is nothing close enough (from the roof to the ceiling panels) to brace it upon that would be solid enough to suspend a fan from. So, this is the solution we've come up with. We just hesitate to do anything with the marraige line, since nothing else is there.
Harry

Hi

My double wide has 2 heavy ridge beams where the 2 halfs meet. I do not have a drop ceiling to contend with. Originally there was a light and lightweight fan hanging from the ceiling. Years ago I installed a heavy Hunter fan. Once again it is hanging from the ridge beams. No ill effects yet...knock wood. Good Luck.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?