faux bathroom?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

GraceNC

Want a tiled bathroom- walk in shower with pebble floor.

HEAVY! There is no way my home will withstand the weight of all the tile and grout. What are my options?

Surely there is a product that 'looks' like rock/pebble/tile that isn't. Perhaps a wall surround that isn't flat white but made to look like it's tiled?

Anyone done this or found these things?
Kimpossible

Not sure if you are asking about tile for the walls/shower surround or the floor. If you are asking about the shower surround I have used DPI Aqua Tile paneling. http://www.decorativepanelsinternationa ... atile.html if you care to look at designs. It is made for wet areas (triple checked that before I installed it), is realitively inexpensive, & can be found at your big box stores.
I have used this in both bathrooms & absolutely love it. As a matter of fact the design I picked (Fossilstone) transformed the master bath into a spa. Installed this over a year ago & it still amazes me how much it changed the look & feel of the room. If you would like pictures, let me know & I'll see what I can do about uploading a couple.

Good luck with your bathroom.
Rhonda

I love the idea! I have been racking my brain with what to do with our bath. I know this isn't my thread, but would love to see your photos! Thanks!
GraceNC

I'd love to see the photos as well!

This is the type of product I'm looking for... 4'x8' panels that I can cut and fit to my design.
Question- what do you use for the seams?

Not a fan of caulk- not one bit. That's why I wanted to use tile and grout. My tiles in the kitchen - they are vinyl squares but made for grout....can you do the same with the bathroom panels? Grout? I use the sanded kind that comes in a tube like caulk.
Kimpossible

They have "special" things....not sure what you call them but they are shaped kind of like an I that the panels slide into when joing two panels. Sorry....I never know the "technical" terms but I know what I mean. :lol: I will say that I did run a bead of caulk where I used these "joiners" just to be on the safe side. Keep in mind that this stuff is hard board with some sort of coating on it that makes it look like tile.
I hope these pictures aren't ginormas...I tried sizing them smaller. Forgive me if they are. I am including close ups of each & then slightly distant so you can get an overall effect. Please excuse the discolored tubs. I haven't found a way to get them back to their original color but they aren't in disrepair so I don't see the point in replacing them.....yet.
GEDC0431.jpg
GEDC0430.jpg
GEDC0426.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GraceNC

Wow! These look great.
Rhonda

You did an awesome job! Thanks for the information and the link! I am always looking for new ways to spruce things up and this seems to be "it" for both bathrooms!
Kimpossible

Glad to be of help Rhonda. You will be suprised at how much it will transform your batrooms. They go from boring/cheap to really nice. And no one needs to know that you didn't place every tile. :wink:

Good luck & hope to see pictures of your bathrooms when you're done.
flcruising

GraceNC, Have you thought about cultured marble? 1 piece shower pan and 3 wall panels should be all it would take.

Great pictures Kimpossible. Ever thought about painting the fiberglass tub? It'd be some work sanding and cleaning it, but it's possible.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]