How much insulation in the roof?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

laurann

My MH does not have any heat retention, I was told this was because of the lack of insulation in the roof, there is maybe three inches tapering off to nothing on the eaves. I'm redoing the roof now, is it worth it to blow in more insulation? will it make a significant difference or am I just wasting more money. What is the best way to stop heat loss? My home is very cold in the winter, even with the furnace going, ditto hot in summer with the A/C on.

Thanks everyone, you're great!
flcruising

I blew additional cellulose in my attic 3 years ago. Made a huge difference on heat transfer. I believe the <$200 spent on it has more than paid for itself. The blower is free if you purchase a certain number of bales at my local Lowe's/Home Depot. Blowing it in will be a 'loose fill' installation, so the weight added will be almost negligible. Don't have to go crazy with the amount, I added about 8" for that price, but 3" is nothing. My home is 1620ft just to give you an idea.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

OK Arron, I just have to ask, How did you gain access to blow it in the ceiling?? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
GraceNC

I was wondering the same thing! How in the world can you blow in insulation? Unless I want to rip down my ceilings...I can't access my 'under' roof. But when I put on a new metal roof- I put down insulation panels...the 8'x4' ones. Not much R factor but it's some.
I'd love to find a way to insulate my ceiling.
flcruising

My home has a 5/12 pitch roof and attic pulldown stairs.

In another posting, laurann is having a contractor redo the roof but not removing any decking, so I'm wondering how they intend on doing this? Cutting a bunch of holes? How do they know how much insulation is there too?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Lorne

Me too, I wonder how.
I wan to put a camera up the bathroom fan hole when I pull it out to replace.
I have a vaulted ceiling that tapers wider as it nears the peek.

I guess they could remove different roof vents to gain access, but they would have to be roofers also, so they can re-shingle when they finish.

A hole in closets would be easier to hide and repair, BUT you have to see how much is going into each area as you pump it in.

Check with one of those insulation companies to see how they would do it, get an estimate, but then do it yourself.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.