Uninsulated stove vent

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

beachpeach

I have owned a 1993 Skyline Corporation Cameron DW for 6 months. I have a question about a small problem regarding the stove vent. This summer there seemed to be hot air coming from the fan. And when you opened the cabinet above the stove, it was hot in there too. The vent, which goes up through that cabinet (it is covered with "wood") was pretty hot to the touch. I'm assuming that this is just not insulated, which means this winter there will be cold air? Any suggestions on helping this problem? I don't think I'm ready to tear it out and replace it. But it really made my kitchen hot this summer even with the air on.

BTW, I got some great suggestions this spring about putting up bead board and it looks great!

Thanks,
BP
Greg

If it a wall vent, there may be a flap. If so make sure it is closing when the fan is off. Other than that it may be time to change it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
beachpeach

The stove hood vents through the roof. My quick fix was to block off the whole thing under the hood, and not use the exhaust fan, but I want to be able to use it in the future.
1987Commodore

There should be a flapper right above the fan in the hood to block off most of the air, though I have the same type of arrangement on my single wide, and have never felt any down flow of air through it.