Aluminum Wiring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

texan1

I hope this does not fit under the "can not answer"portion of electrical.I was wondering what problems people had or have with the aluminum wire used in older MH.Before I do a re-wire I thought I would see if the problem(s) can be located to certain areas such as dryers or AC units etc.
Groo

small Al wire has been pretty much banned for quite a while because it tends to heat up and cause fires. You can still get heavy gauge Al wire. I ran a sub pannel to my parents pool with 2gauge Al.

combining the fire starting aspects Al wire with the rapid combustabilty of a mh is a bad idea. I'd get it all out.
JD
Site Admin

Groo has made the best point to know about aluminum wiring. The things that I run into most with customers that have aluminum wire are sockets and lights quit working. The aluminum tends to oxidize in switches and outlets, causing shorts.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

The 2 major problems with aluminum wiring are the Oxidation problems plus the expansion /contraction rate difference of aluminum & the brass connectors on outlets & switches can cause arcing at the connection. I had read that there was a way to crimp a copper pigtail on and make the connections to the outlets with the copper. Check with a qualified electrician in your area for their thoughts. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lifted79chevy350

If you get all the wiring replaced keep the aluminum wire and take it to a recycle center. Aluminum is worth a decent amount of cash if your up to it.
My mind never stops working.