Removing a Wall Socket

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

I recently had a section of outside wall replaced and drywall replaced the old wood paneling.
In preparation for the carpenters I removed the wall socket and wood paneling. Yuk.

The wall socket had a screw in the top right and lower left corner, visible after removing the cover plate.

Using my trusty electric screw driver I ZIPPED out the screws ALL THE WAY in short order. BIG MISTAKE. :shock:

In doing this, the little arms, that hold the socket against the inside of the paneling, or drywall in some cases, DROPPED OFF and down into the wall, to be lost when the wall was ripped out. :shock: Big dummy.

Luckily I found an old socket with the arms and screws still attached. :D

When removing a wall socket of this type, UNSCREW the screws slowly counter clockwise, allowing the little arms to twist to one side until you can pull the socket away from the wall easily.

Ain't learning a HOOT?
Couldn't find the proper picture showing the little arms, sorry.

I hope this helps someone.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
JD
Site Admin

These are called an 'Old work box'. The image below comes from a Hammerzone page showing the install of this box.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/elec ... orkbox.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
joedirt63

might want to also use screw driver by hand , i know it's a pain but if you go too fast with the power driver you'll pull that lil arm right through the 3/8 sheet rock if thats what you have on the wall. been there ,but only once.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me