Leveling and frost piers

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

laurann

I'm in the process of doing structural repairs on my MH, I was wondering if you can level a home using a transit instead of water level, the contractor who's doing the work suggested that. Also are a few frost piers supporting the blocks going to help stabilize the home or do you have to do all of them, I didn't want to have to move my home.

Thanks!
Greg

If the contractor can figure out how to get the transit & story pole low enough to shoot under the home, and around the piers and pipes than yes it can be done. I have never seen a unit that can see THROUGH block piers and pipes. Remember that when you level a home you need to level not only front to back, but side to side also.

Once you set the water level up It takes no time at all to get your readings, you simply "Zero it" on one pier and move the other end from one pier to the next & record your readings. I use soap stone and write it on the frame also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Groo

sounds like you have moved or will move the MH so you can work on the space without the trailer in the way. That'll make things easier.

as far as the whole frost pier thing. I'd say all bellow the frost line, or all near the surface.

If you have every other post moving, but the others stationary, you going to do some damage to your trailer. A trailer is made to flex and move some when you move it, but you are basically making sure you posts are always moving and unlevel.
Greg

If you are moving the home before you level it you COULD mark the pier locations and figure the height of them with a transit. Than when the home is back in place place the piers in their locations.

I had a single wide too many years ago that sat on poured piers. when it was moved they used I beams and rolled it sideways off of the piers. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."